cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is an EXOS switch sh iparp port command showing the ip and mac of a storage array management device in another closet?

Why is an EXOS switch sh iparp port command showing the ip and mac of a storage array management device in another closet?

Keith9
Contributor III

In our datacenter we have two X690 switches at the core.  All of our vmware and management and uplinks are tied into this core.  There are two lacp load sharing links to different switch stacks in the building.

We just put two 5520 switches in our 3rd floor networking closet.  They replaced some Cisco 3750’s.  They have 2 10 gig links down to those X690’s at the core.

In these 5520 switches in EXOS, for many ports that I know are connected but trying to figure out all the devices to put an accurate port description-string on them, I see the IP address of our SSD flash storage array that resides off the X690 core.  The mac address OUI belongs to SuperMicro, which is true, they do make the controller board for the SSD storage array. 

Why would I be seeing this IP and Mac very often on many active ports on the new 5520 switch? Here’s a good example:

Port 2:44 is showing 1000/full connection.

sh port 2:44 vid
2:44     Untagged  3
         Tagged    172

We are using vlan 172 for voip phones (LLDP-med identifies them and slides them into that vlan, whereas the pass through port on a phone passes through the untagged vlan).

sh iparp port 2:44
VR            Destination      Mac                Age  Static  VLAN          VID   Port
VR-Default    10.1.0.51        ac:1f:6b:0a:86:b8    3      NO  Default       1

Whats weird is the IPARP is a device in VLAN1 (default) and that vlan isn’t even on port 2:44 there.

I run the command again and now it showing no IP or mac on port 2:44.  I just find this odd behavior.

Any info is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DeoHeo
New Contributor III

Hello Keith,

have you checked if there is a LACP configured on the port?

Another idea is. Maybe after the first query the default timeout timer expired and thus the entry disappeared. Or is a device connected, then of course this is not a suggested solution?

Greetings

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

DeoHeo
New Contributor III

Hello Keith,

have you checked if there is a LACP configured on the port?

Another idea is. Maybe after the first query the default timeout timer expired and thus the entry disappeared. Or is a device connected, then of course this is not a suggested solution?

Greetings

GTM-P2G8KFN