cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X460-24T.2 SFP+ Ports and Firmware

X460-24T.2 SFP+ Ports and Firmware

roninrush
New Contributor

Hi all! I picked up the aforementioned switch secondhand last summer, and am just now digging into it. Here's the current version info:

X460-24t.2 # show version
Switch : 800321-00-03 1105G-01556 Rev 3.0 BootROM: 2.0.1.0 IMG: 15.3.1.4
PSU-1 :
PSU-2 : EDPS-300AB A-S6 800386-00-03 1105E-41556

Image : ExtremeXOS version 15.3.1.4 v1531b4-patch1-10 by release-manager
on Mon May 6 13:35:50 EDT 2013
BootROM : 2.0.1.0
Diagnostics : 5.10

I know this device is EOL, but figure someone might be able to help me here. I'm looking to upgrade the image, bootROM, firmware and anything else I can up to the last versions available for this device.

The upgrades are rationalized in two ways:

1. Security and functionality being the most up to date from just before the End Of Life event occurred would be likely a very good idea.
  2. I've not been able to use the 8 SFP+ ports at all yet, even though I am able to direct connect the SFP+ ports on the individual units together with total functionality. Currently they either show no media connection or no port present. They're shared ports and have fiber preferred. I could be using the wrong cables, currently using 10Gtek SFP+ DAC Twinax Cable - 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper SFP Cables.

Item #2 is also my other request for help. If anyone can point me in the right direction towards getting those SFP+ ports to work, I've got the configuration cleared and this is my first foray into configuring an EXOS switch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

for the X460 first generation you will need an option module for 10G

here is an excerpt from the data sheet:

Summit X460 Option Modules
Summit X460 series switches have two slots, Slot A and Slot B,
to support optional modules that support 10 Gigabit Ethernet
and stacking modules. Slot A supports two-port XFP 10 Gigabit
Ethernet and two-port SFP+ 10 Gigabit Ethernet modules. Slot B
supports a four-port SFP+ 10 Gigabit Ethernet module, a two-port
SummitStack module, and a two-port SummitStack-V80 module

You will also find the part numbers in the data sheet.

regards

Frank

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @roninrush 

1. Without a valid service contract you are not allowed to upgrade the firmware, so I doubt that someone will publicly provide you the .xos file for your switch.

2. The Switch only offers SFP, not SFP+ Slots, so you are limited to 1 Gig Transceivers. (see https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit_16/GUID-98E31F3B-378C-4427-8F21-D15284CBF5E2.shtml

Best regards
Stefan

Thanks for your reply @Stefan_K_, it's much appreciated.

I do wonder though, how would I get a service contract for an end of life product? EOL typically means the product is no longer supported, even on paid support options, as well as no longer manufactured.

Also, I literally see in the switch interface over serial that the option is 10G, so I''m very confused.

Even the Extreme Networks site says on the Direct attach cables page in the Pluggable Transceivers Guide.

Types of Direct-Attach Cables

Extreme Networks switches support the following types of direct-attach cables that connect to SFP or QSFP modules:

10 Gb SFP+ direct-attach passive cable

Hi,

for the X460 first generation you will need an option module for 10G

here is an excerpt from the data sheet:

Summit X460 Option Modules
Summit X460 series switches have two slots, Slot A and Slot B,
to support optional modules that support 10 Gigabit Ethernet
and stacking modules. Slot A supports two-port XFP 10 Gigabit
Ethernet and two-port SFP+ 10 Gigabit Ethernet modules. Slot B
supports a four-port SFP+ 10 Gigabit Ethernet module, a two-port
SummitStack module, and a two-port SummitStack-V80 module

You will also find the part numbers in the data sheet.

regards

Frank

GTM-P2G8KFN