Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric Extend - Over Private WAN and Internet Simultaneously

Fabric Extend - Over Private WAN and Internet Simultaneously

Ppenev
New Contributor

Hello Extreme Community,

I am new to the Fabric Connect architecture/paradigm and I’m currently learning it by building an extensive lab with licensed physical equipment in a physical data center.

I’m in need of a little configuration guidance with regard to Fabric Extend and the extension of the SPBM fabric across L3 networks.

I am able to create an FE tunnel over an IP-VPN WAN between a VSP4900 at a Main site and a remote XA1440 appliance at a branch site.

I am also able to create an FE tunnel with IPSec over the Internet between an XA1440 at the Main site and the same remote XA1440 appliance.

What I can’t figure out is how to configure both at the same time - I am limited by only being able to configure a single ISIS ip-tunnel-source-address on the VSPs.

On each side, I am using a separate VRF to isolate the interfaces which connect to the L3 transport networks, and a I’m using a brouter port for the tunnel on both sides. The red brouter ports are sitting in a DMZ on each firewall with public IP addresses.

On the diagram below, I have full IP connectivity with some static routes inside the Fabric Extend VRF. Inside the VRF I am able to ping out to the Internet and at the same time I can ping across the WAN to the main site.

I can build an ISIS adjacency between the purple dots, and then when I change the ip-tunnel-source-address to the public IP I can get and ISIS adjacency between the red dots.

b7881de122894829bc41a1bc4e918fb8_c832e183-2dd5-4061-ae0b-82b6a73946a3.png

Remote XA:

#
# ISIS CONFIGURATION
#

router isis
sys-name "Remote_XA"
ip-source-address 10.0.0.11
ip-tunnel-source-address 10.13.10.26 vrf fab_extend
is-type l1
system-id 0050.0000.aaaa
manual-area 10.01
exit
router isis enable

#
# LOGICAL ISIS CONFIGURATION
#

logical-intf isis 1 dest-ip 10.10.10.2 mtu 1950 name "Tunnel_to_LAK"
isis
isis spbm 1

isis enable
exit
logical-intf isis 2 dest-ip 168.168.210.250 mtu 1950 name "Tunnel_to_LAK_ipsec"
isis
isis spbm 1
isis enable
exit

#
# PORT CONFIGURATION - PHASE II
#

interface GigabitEthernet 1/1
name "L3 link to WAN cloud"
no shutdown
vrf fab_extend

brouter port 1/1 vlan 802 subnet 10.13.10.26/255.255.255.248 mac-offset 0

no spanning-tree mstp  force-port-state enable
exit
interface GigabitEthernet 1/2
name "L3 link to the Internet"
no shutdown
vrf fab_extend
brouter port 1/2 vlan 803 subnet 167.167.208.4/255.255.255.0 mac-offset 1

no spanning-tree mstp  force-port-state enable
exit

Remote_XA:1#show isis interface

========================================================================================================================
                                                    ISIS Interfaces
========================================================================================================================
IFIDX             TYPE    LEVEL     OP-STATE  ADM-STATE  ADJ    UP-ADJ  SPBM-L1-METRIC   OP-SPBM-L1-METRIC   ORIGIN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tunnel_to_LAK     pt-pt   Level 1   UP        UP         1      1       20000            20000               CONFIG
Tunnel_to_LAK_i~  pt-pt   Level 1   UP        UP         0      0       20000            20000               CONFIG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 2 out of 2 Total Num of ISIS interfaces
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote_XA:1#show isis adjacencies

====================================================================================================
                                ISIS Adjacencies
====================================================================================================
INTERFACE         L STATE        UPTIME PRI HOLDTIME SYSID             HOST-NAME
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tunnel_to_LAK     1 UP         04:50:35 127       22 0048.0000.00c1    FC_LAK_Core1

1 out of 1 interfaces have formed an adjacency

How can I have 2 permanent ISIS adjacencies to the Campus Fabric Connect environment across the two circuits?

Should I not  use public IP addresses on the IPSec tunnel endpoints and instead use the same tunnel source address as the VXLAN tunnel but NAT it at the firewalls?

Also, documentation mentions that the XA1400 appliances are hardened - do you know any details on that? What is mean by “hardened” in this context?

I am trying to achieve the scenario on the very left in the following screenshot:

b7881de122894829bc41a1bc4e918fb8_260db287-90ff-434f-a384-fb4b601ab06c.png

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

The ability for the same XA (VSP with FIGW) to connect to multiple providers is currently a bit limited and we are expecting improvements to this in the VOSS 8.3.1.0 release later this year.

However, in your specific case it is already doable as you have one IPsec tunnel and a native VXLAN tunnel. You need to use decoupled mode on the Remote XA IPsec config, using this command which was added to the XA in release 8.2:

8.2.0.0 SW	Fabric Extend ability to specify a separate global IPsec tunnel source address (ipsec tunnel-source-address) from the FE IP Tunnel source IP

That will allow your Remote XA to originate all its IPsec traffic via a different IPsec IP source address from the ISIS FE tunnel source IP (ip-tunnel-source-address). You can make this ipsec tunnel-source-address the Brouter port you have facing the Internet Firewall.

And of course, now on your HQ XA you will need to set:

8.2.0.0 SW	Fabric Extend ability to specify a logical ISIS interface IPsec tunnel destination (ipsec tunnel-dest-ip) other than the FE tunnel destination IP

...under the logical-isis interface to match that IPsec termination IP which is no longer the ip-tunnel-source-address of that same logical-isis interface.

However note that traffic arriving to the Remote XA, and destined to the new above IPsec tunnel-source-address, once the IPsec encapsulation is removed, there is still an inner VXLAN encapsulation which will still have as destination IP the ISIS FE ip-tunnel-source-address. So it is fine to make this the Brouter port facing the WAN circuit, provided that you use the same VRF for both WAN and Internet circuits (you have no choice anyway, we only support 1 FE enabled VRF), so that the VXLAN tunnel which was IPsec encapsulated can reach it. But if you use a Brouter port, and you lose the link to the WAN router, then both your WAN and Internet circuits will go down which is probably not what you want. You could make the ip-tunnel-source-address a CLIP IP on the XA, but now the snag is that the WAN provider will need an IP route to reach that CLIP. Or else you could make the ip-tunnel-source-address a VLAN IP (supported on XA since 8.1.5.0 and on VOSS VSPs since 8.3.0.0) and then assign that VLAN not only to the WAN port, but also to another bogus port you expect will always be up or at least be up as long as the Internet connection is available (for example the port connecting to your Internet Firewall !). But in this case, note that we don’t support an IP enabled VLAN to be assigned to a Brouter port. So simply make the Internet facing ipsec tunnel-source-address a VLAN IP as well.

Hope you can digest this!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

DannyS
New Contributor
this is really great info, we are a complete fabric show and have just purchased a few XA1480 units so we can do a backup IPSEC tunnel.  Any good short cut documents you have would really be appreciated.

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

Nice! Thanks for sharing the final configs.

Ppenev
New Contributor

Hello folks,

I just wanted to provide a quick update and let you know that I have a working solution that is based on what Ludovico suggested - using an FE + IPSec tunnel over the Internet that is decoupled from the native FE tunnel over the WAN.

I have configured one FE tunnel from the Remote_XA to a fabric switch at HQ over an IPVPN WAN, and another FE+IPSec tunnel from the Remote_XA to another XA switch at HQ over the Internet.

Below, I share the config of the Remote_XA and the HQ_XA. I am using a lot of default values, but the main point was to show the fact that the IPSec-based tunnel over the Internet is terminated with different IPs than the one over the WAN.

Thank you very much for the input!

Remote_XA config:

#
# ISIS CONFIGURATION
#

router isis
sys-name "Remote_XA"
ip-source-address 10.0.0.11
ip-tunnel-source-address 10.13.10.26 vrf fab_extend
ipsec tunnel-source-address 167.167.208.4
is-type l1
system-id 0050.0000.aaaa
manual-area 10.01
exit
router isis enable

#
#

logical-intf isis 1 dest-ip 10.10.10.2 mtu 1950 name "Tun_to_LAK_WAN"
isis
isis spbm 1
isis enable
exit
logical-intf isis 2 dest-ip 168.168.210.250 mtu 1400 name "Tun_to_LAK_ipsec"
isis
isis spbm 1
isis enable
auth-key ******
ipsec encryption-key-length 256
ipsec
exit

#
#

interface GigabitEthernet 1/1
name "L3 link to WAN cloud"
no shutdown
vrf fab_extend
brouter port 1/1 vlan 802 subnet 10.13.10.26/255.255.255.248 mac-offset 0
no spanning-tree mstp force-port-state enable
exit
name "L3 link to the Internet"
no shutdown
vrf fab_extend
brouter port 1/2 vlan 803 subnet 167.167.208.4/255.255.255.0 mac-offset 1
exit

Remote_XA:1#show ip route vrf fab_extend
=====================================================================================================
IP Route - VRF fab_extend
=====================================================================================================
NH INTER
DST MASK NEXT VRF/ISID COST FACE PROT AGE TYPE PRF
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 167.167.208.1 fab_extend 1 1/2 STAT 0 IB 5
10.13.10.24 255.255.255.248 10.13.10.26 - 1 1/1 LOC 0 DB 0
10.10.10.0 255.255.255.248 10.13.10.25 fab_extend 1 1/1 STAT 0 IB 5
167.167.208.0 255.255.255.0 167.167.208.4 - 1 1/2 LOC 0 DB 0

4 out of 4 Total Num of Route Entries, 4 Total Num of Dest Networks displayed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote_XA:1#show isis interface
ISIS Interfaces
IFIDX TYPE LEVEL OP-STATE ADM-STATE ADJ UP-ADJ SPBM-L1-METRIC OP-SPBM-L1-METRIC ORIGIN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tun_to_LAK_WAN pt-pt Level 1 UP UP 1 1 20000 20000 CONFIG
Tun_to_LAK_ipsec pt-pt Level 1 UP UP 1 1 20000 20000 CONFIG

Remote_XA:1#show isis adjacencies
ISIS Adjacencies
INTERFACE L STATE UPTIME PRI HOLDTIME SYSID HOST-NAME
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tun_to_LAK_WAN 1 UP 14:54:55 127 27 0048.0000.00c1 HQ_Core1
Tun_to_LAK_ipsec 1 UP 14:30:37 127 26 0048.0000.aaaa HQ_XA

HQ XA:

#
# ISIS CONFIGURATION
#

router isis
sys-name "HQ_XA"
ip-source-address 10.0.0.12
ip-tunnel-source-address 168.168.210.250 vrf fab_extend
is-type l1
system-id 0048.0000.aaaa
manual-area 10.01
exit
router isis enable

#
#

logical-intf isis 2 dest-ip 10.13.10.26 mtu 1400 name "Tun_to_PGP_ipsec"
isis

isis spbm 1
isis enable
auth-key ******
ipsec encryption-key-length 256
ipsec tunnel-dest-ip 167.167.208.4
ipsec
exit

#
#

name "L3 link to Internet cloud"
no shutdown
vrf fab_extend
brouter port 1/2 vlan 802 subnet 168.168.210.250/255.255.255.128 mac-offset 1
exit

HQ_XA:1#show isis interface
ISIS Interfaces
IFIDX TYPE LEVEL OP-STATE ADM-STATE ADJ UP-ADJ SPBM-L1-METRIC OP-SPBM-L1-METRIC ORIGIN
Tun_to_PGP_ipsec pt-pt Level 1 UP UP 1 1 20000 20000 CONFIG

HQ_XA:1#show isis adjacencies
ISIS Adjacencies
INTERFACE L STATE UPTIME PRI HOLDTIME SYSID HOST-NAME
Tun_to_PGP_ipsec 1 UP 14:42:17 127 25 0050.0000.aaaa Remote_XA

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

Yes, the middle scenario will be the easiest as each box will only have to be configured with a single FE provider (WAN/Internet). You will also get better performance  on the VSP FE tunnels without IPsec.

GTM-P2G8KFN