Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LACP Cisco iOS/VOSS interconnection best practices

LACP Cisco iOS/VOSS interconnection best practices

Jave
Contributor
Hi,

Looking for creating an LACP interconnection between a SMLT VOSS Cluster and a VSS Cisco Catalyst Cluster, I wish to know best practices in terms of spanning tree and SLPP. What is the best to setup in a such case ?

Rodjeur
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Rodjeur, thanks for reaching out. We don't have specific best practice for this per se, as using SMLT results in STP being disabled on the SMLT side.  SLPP is our recommended loop prevention and protection methodology for SMLT environments, and our best practices there involve using different rx-thresholds on the SMLT links to avoid taking both down if the loop is over the SMLT itself (eg 50 one side, 500 on the second link).  The specific values used for rx-threshold should be tuned based on deployment specifics, such as the number of VLANs transmitting SLPP packets on the links. For the CISCO side of this, not having STP on the SMLT links needs to be factored into the overall loop design for that portion of the network. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
Here you go

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000083501&q=voss%20smlt%20lacp

TQU
New Contributor III
Hi Rodjeur,

From my feedback, to configure interconnexion between VOSS and other vendor device, i always use LACP (MLT or SMLT). 
If it's not required, i always disable spanning-tree on MLT/SMLT. And especially with other vendors, to avoid STP compatibility issue.  
SLPP is a good way to check SMLT static link agregation, i use it too. 
With LACP, some says that as LACP check the agregation and it's not needed. That's true, but SLPP add another protection. 

Regards, 
Théo 

Jave
Contributor
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice. I've already disabled STP on VOSS side and enabled SLPP with assymetric values for rx-threshold. If I will understood, I should to disable STP on Cisco side too ?

Rodjeur

TQU
New Contributor III
Hi Rodjeur, 

Yes, STP should be disabled on both side.
If STP is enabled, it can extend time during failover. 

Regards, 
Théo
GTM-P2G8KFN