cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual VOSS for GNS3 expected behavior for no data plane support

Virtual VOSS for GNS3 expected behavior for no data plane support

KenM
New Contributor
I have been learning about ISIS/SPB after taking some Extreme Academy training. I have a basic GNS3 setup with a few virtual appliances with VOSS 8.4 image. I am trying to understand what no dataplane support means - I have the ISIS and SPBM part working (I think - I see a remote i-sid associated with a customer vlan on one leaf being advertised by the other) and was hoping to have a mac learned on one edge show up as learned by the other. Learning a mac on a vlan port from a VPCS attached to it doesn't seem to work but I'm not sure if that is expected since the packet would be coming from the "dataplane". However, if I add an IP to the VLAN interface I can ping the VPCS. The arp table entry is formed but no mac ever shows up in show vlan mac-address-entry. Again, this may be due to not having an active dataplane. I tried adding a statically mapped MAC to a port in the customer VLAN where the VPCS was attached to see if that would be advertised but that didn't seem to work either. This could be completely due to my lack of knowledge of VOSS but it would be nice to know what the expected limits of the lack of dataplane would impose on mac learning and distribution of macs across the infrastructure. I've been reading mostly the VOSS 8.4 command guide for help with configuration.

Thanks!
Ken
0 REPLIES 0
GTM-P2G8KFN