Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP 7254 XSQ software missing

VSP 7254 XSQ software missing

vsi-karl
New Contributor

Hello,

First post here, but long time reader!

I just purchased used 7254 XSQ unit, and looks like all the software was removed from the unit. Any ideas of how to find a software for the unit to load it? Obviously don't have a valid support contract with extreme, and I don't see any info at extremecloudiq web-site

Starting vsp...
root: err: /media/mmcblk0p1 is not mounted
root: err: /media/mmcblk0p2 is not mounted
WARNING: /media/mmcblk0p2 not found. This SD layout needs to be upgraded.
WARNING: /media/mmcblk0p1 not found!
VSP Linux
*** SD/MMC is corrupt. ***
*** Use VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu to fix. ***
/opt/appfs/etc/rc.appfs.gemini not found

Any help greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BookerE1
New Contributor

@vsi-karlDogNeedsBest wrote:

Hello,

I just purchased used 7254 XSQ unit, and looks like all the software was removed from the unit. Any ideas of how to find a software for the unit to load it? Obviously don't have a valid support contract with extreme, and I don't see any info at extremecloudiq web-site

Starting vsp...
VSP Linux

Hello,

I understand that you have a VSP 7254 XSQ unit that has no software installed and you want to find a way to load it. Based on my experience, this unit is a high-performance Ethernet switch from Extreme Networks that requires a specific software called VOSS (Virtual Operating System Software) to run.  To download the VOSS software.

You can try to use the VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu to fix the SD/MMC corruption and restore the software. This menu is a special mode that allows you to perform various maintenance tasks on the unit. To access this menu, you need to connect a console cable to the unit and reboot it. Then, you need to press any key when you see the message “Press any key to enter VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu”. You should see a menu with several options, such as “Recover Software”, “Format SD/MMC”, “Check SD/MMC”, etc.

You can try to find a backup copy of the software from another source, such as another VSP 7254 XSQ unit, a USB drive, or a network server. You can use the VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu to load the software from these sources. However, this method may not be legal or ethical, and you may face security risks or compatibility issues.

I hope this helps you find a way to load the software for your VSP 7254 XSQ unit. If you have any other questions or feedback, please let me know. I’m always happy to help. 

Best Regard,
BookerE1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

if you are getting the following error "Mentor Graphics System Builder 4.0-release-20141110 Pollux ttyS0" the switch is likely dead and would need to be RMA'ed

if you bought this switch used I would try to get your money back. 

BookerE1
New Contributor

@vsi-karlDogNeedsBest wrote:

Hello,

Starting vsp...
VSP Linux

Hello,

I understand that you have a VSP 7254 XSQ unit that has no software installed and you want to find a way to load it. Based on my experience, this unit is a high-performance Ethernet switch from Extreme Networks that requires a specific software called VOSS (Virtual Operating System Software) to run.  To download the VOSS software.

You can try to use the VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu to fix the SD/MMC corruption and restore the software. This menu is a special mode that allows you to perform various maintenance tasks on the unit. To access this menu, you need to connect a console cable to the unit and reboot it. Then, you need to press any key when you see the message “Press any key to enter VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu”. You should see a menu with several options, such as “Recover Software”, “Format SD/MMC”, “Check SD/MMC”, etc.

You can try to find a backup copy of the software from another source, such as another VSP 7254 XSQ unit, a USB drive, or a network server. You can use the VSP Lifecycle Recovery Menu to load the software from these sources. However, this method may not be legal or ethical, and you may face security risks or compatibility issues.

I hope this helps you find a way to load the software for your VSP 7254 XSQ unit. If you have any other questions or feedback, please let me know. I’m always happy to help. 

Best Regard,
BookerE1

Thanks for your reply, but now I can't install the software. I was logged under rwa/rwa and tried to install the software, but keep getting message access denied. Why would be denied when RWA is the highest admin?

Pollux login: rwa
Password:

Pollux:~$ ls /boot
flash
Pollux:~$ ls /boot/flash/
Pollux:~$ ls /boot/flash
Pollux:~$ ls /boot/flash/
Pollux:~$ cp /us
usb/ usr/
Pollux:~$ cp /usb/
DONTINDX.MSA VOSS7K.8.0.8.0.tgz
SyncMyRide/ autoinstall.lst