cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of connector is supported in Extreme SFP module?

JiriS
New Contributor

Hi,

Is there any official recommendation what type of connector I should use in Extreme SFP modules? I suppose I should use LC UPC, but can I use LC APC? I could not find any statement in Extreme documentation but for example Cisco doesn't support LC APC in their modules.

Thanks,

Jiri

3 REPLIES 3

WillyHe
New Contributor III
Hello,

This is maybe a good link to explain APC FO connectors.
https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/blogs/archive-posts/95041478-what-are-apc-angled-physical-contact-fiber-connectors

regards
Willy

WillyHe
New Contributor III

Hello,

For my knowledge (its a long time ago),

The protective "glass" surface in a transceiver module (GBIC, SFP, SFP+, ...) is always flat (angle of 90°), so for the best contact (minimum loss) use LC-UPC connector types.

The Single-Mode LC-APC, SC-APC, ... connector types give a better result when connecting fiber to fiber, due to the angled surface there is less refection back to the transmitter, maybe the loss is also less compared to ..-UPC connectors.
For Multi-Mode it is always ..-UPC.

regards
Willy

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Jiri, thanks for your patience while I looked in to this for you. From what I've been able to find, the most common is LC/UPC. The broader answer appears to be that both would work with most optics as long as the line loss is within spec. Hope that helps!