cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of connector is supported in Extreme SFP module?

What type of connector is supported in Extreme SFP module?

JiriS
New Contributor

Hi,

Is there any official recommendation what type of connector I should use in Extreme SFP modules? I suppose I should use LC UPC, but can I use LC APC? I could not find any statement in Extreme documentation but for example Cisco doesn't support LC APC in their modules.

Thanks,

Jiri

3 REPLIES 3

WillyHe
Contributor
Hello,

This is maybe a good link to explain APC FO connectors.
https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/blogs/archive-posts/95041478-what-are-apc-angled-physical-contact-fiber-connectors

regards
Willy

WillyHe
Contributor

Hello,

For my knowledge (its a long time ago),

The protective "glass" surface in a transceiver module (GBIC, SFP, SFP+, ...) is always flat (angle of 90°), so for the best contact (minimum loss) use LC-UPC connector types.

The Single-Mode LC-APC, SC-APC, ... connector types give a better result when connecting fiber to fiber, due to the angled surface there is less refection back to the transmitter, maybe the loss is also less compared to ..-UPC connectors.
For Multi-Mode it is always ..-UPC.

regards
Willy

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Jiri, thanks for your patience while I looked in to this for you. From what I've been able to find, the most common is LC/UPC. The broader answer appears to be that both would work with most optics as long as the line loss is within spec. Hope that helps!
GTM-P2G8KFN