cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 802.11k recommended in the 10.11.x firmware track?

Is 802.11k recommended in the 10.11.x firmware track?

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III
Hello,

I'm curious if 802.11k/Beacon Report/Quiet IE are recommended on C5210 running 10.11.x. If so, will they impact performance/air usage at all?

I'm curious about the "nearby AP's" report, which requires 11k in order to view.

4 REPLIES 4

Jacob__Praveen
Extreme Employee
Adding to the information already posted above, the 'Nearby AP Report' is a very useful report in understanding roaming options and signal strength of such APs in a WLAN.

Rajesh_Jeevendr
Extreme Employee
Hi James

Greetings

IE - Information Element could be seen only on Management Frames

Quiet IE

Dynamic frequency selection was needed to avoid certain military radar technologies.To find the presence of radar or other interference,an AP can use the Quiet element to temporarily shut down the channel to improve the quality of measurements.

Beacon Report

The 802.11k protocol allows APs and clients to dynamically measure the available radio resources.The APs and clients can send neighbor reports, beacon reports and link measurement reports to each other.

This allows the APs and clients to take appropriate connection actions like band-steer,move sticky client.

The beacon report requests are sent only to 802.11k-compliant clients that advertise Beacon Report Capability in their RRM Enabled Capabilities IE

Client's 11k Beacon Report to AP
-----------------------------------
BSSID Channel RSSI

ff:ff:ff:b6:62:f0 38 92
ff:ff:ff:b6:69:30 38 94
ff:ff:ff:4a:43:d0 46 94
ff:ff:ff:b6:66:30 46 92

Regards
Rajesh J

James_A
Valued Contributor
I'm running 802.11k on 9.21.12 and 10.11.02. There were some crashing problems with AP3825 but they've all been fixed. Also note that enabling with disconnect all clients from the VNS.

Does anyone know what Beacon Report and Quiet IE actually do? The help page is pretty minimal.

Philipp_Tittman
New Contributor III
Hi Joshua,

you can run 802.1k/Beacon Report/Quit IE without any performance issues on a C5210. I totally recommend the use of 802.11k, because it is needed e.g. for the Nearby AP Report. Through 802.11k your APs will have a better "understanding" of what is going on and what is around.

Regards,
Philipp
GTM-P2G8KFN