cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition to new guest network per site

Transition to new guest network per site

HoneyBadger72
New Contributor

In my ExtremeCloud IQ controller, I have setup a new guest WLAN called Guest248 (SSID=Guest248).  I have it setup for testing and POC for our new captive portal setup and all of that is working.  This WLAN is "enabled" via a device group/profile per site.  Each site has all local WAPs in their respective Device Group.  I have an existing WLAN called Guest (SSID=Guest).  My goal is to switch "off" the old Guest WLAN and enable the new Guest248 WLAN per site.  However, I want to be able to set the SSID for the new Guest248 to be Guest, like the current WLAN, so users do not have to look for a new Guest wireless network, they just start getting the new captive portal on the day I disable the old Guest and enable the new Guest248 WLAN, but do it per site if possible.  My plan so far is to disabled Guest at all locations, change the SSID on Guest248 from Guest248 to Guest, then ALL sites will see the new Guest SSID to connect to and get the new captive portal from WLAN Guest248.

So, one question right up front, can I have the same SSID on two different WLANs?  If so, that makes his somewhat easy...

Or, do I need to change my SSID on WLAN Guest to something like GuestOLD, save, then change WLAN Guest248 SSID to Guest... so they never match... two steps...

This would work too, but I want to confirm it will work if possible or if someone as done this transistion before, what is a good way to change over?  I dont want to lose the settings of the old (Guest) or new (Guest248) WLANs.

Sorry if this is confusing, but I am more the willing to answer questions if someone can help me with some advice one way or another.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

You can have the same SSID on 2 different WLAN but they just can not be active on the same AP.

Disable WLAN Guest248.  Change the SSID to "Guest" and add the APs.  When you are ready to move over disable original Guest WLAN and then enable Guest248 WLAN

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Christopher_Tay
Contributor

You can have the same SSID on 2 different WLAN but they just can not be active on the same AP.

Disable WLAN Guest248.  Change the SSID to "Guest" and add the APs.  When you are ready to move over disable original Guest WLAN and then enable Guest248 WLAN

Thank you for the reply.  I see what you are saying.  I will give it a try soon and update this thread with what I learn.

GTM-P2G8KFN