Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIQ AP port type

XIQ AP port type

EF
Contributor II

Hi team,

Allways in my AP templates I used port type "Uplink Port" with default native VLAN1 (untag) and configuring in the switch port the MGMT VLAN X in access, but I see two port types more: trunk and access, 

In: 

Q A: What are the differences between the Uplink Port, Access Port and Trunk Port | Extreme Portal (...

Tells that "Trunk Ports and Access Ports are used for Wired Client Access" but I cant understand this, I cant understand in which or why situation they can be used.

So I need verify that "uplink" is the right type for a typical scenario with untag mgmt vlan and tag SSID´s VLANs, and in which cases use the other two.

Cheers!!

EF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello EF,

Here are example of AP ports:

1 - Uplink: to allow access to the network for wireless clients. By default all ports are open, but you can specify specific allowed VLANs to go  through the uplink port.

2 - Trunk port: Let's say you have a wireless mesh bridge set up between 2 buildings and at the far end building you'd like to connect a switch to the APs ethernet port, to service wired and wireless clients on multiple vlans, you'll configure this port as trunk and connect the switch to it. 

3 - Access is similar to Trunk, but for one VLAN instead of multiple allowed VLANs and again for a device that is connected physically to that port.  

Summary: Uplink is to service wireless clients going through the AP. Access and Trunk ports are for traffic passing to and fro devices physically connected to the ethernet port of said AP. 

Makes sense?

BR, 

Christoph S.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello EF,

Here are example of AP ports:

1 - Uplink: to allow access to the network for wireless clients. By default all ports are open, but you can specify specific allowed VLANs to go  through the uplink port.

2 - Trunk port: Let's say you have a wireless mesh bridge set up between 2 buildings and at the far end building you'd like to connect a switch to the APs ethernet port, to service wired and wireless clients on multiple vlans, you'll configure this port as trunk and connect the switch to it. 

3 - Access is similar to Trunk, but for one VLAN instead of multiple allowed VLANs and again for a device that is connected physically to that port.  

Summary: Uplink is to service wireless clients going through the AP. Access and Trunk ports are for traffic passing to and fro devices physically connected to the ethernet port of said AP. 

Makes sense?

BR, 

Christoph S.
GTM-P2G8KFN