Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirDefense or Sensor Redundancy

AirDefense or Sensor Redundancy

Sazon
New Contributor III

questions for the HA :

1.       Is it possible that primary and backup unit are at different locations? 

2.       How much time does the sensors need to reconnect to backup unit in case primary fails?

3.       In case original primary unit goes back online, will it preempt the backup unit and get back primary status? Or it depends on configuration?

4.Sensors will automatically adapt to backup appliance located at remote site once the primary down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Sazon,

Yes, AirDefense servers operating in HA mode can exist at either different geographical or network locations.

For a sensor to connect to the Backup AirDefense server, this is very fast.  Any delay that you might see will be due to the logic on the sensor that determines when it should finally decide that the Primary server is Offline.  The response needs to be quick enough to not create too much delay, but you also don’t want a sensor connecting to the Backup server every time it misses just a single heartbeat connection with the Primary.

A sensor, once it has failed over to the Backup server, will then continue monitoring to see if the Primary server is once again available.  Once it determines that it is, the sensor will automatically reconnect to the Primary.

Not sure exactly of your last question, but will say that sensor connections to Primary and Backup are not affected by the location of the Primary/Secondary AirDefense servers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sazon
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for answering my questions. This helps me a lot.

I’m currently studying the ADSP and sensors but we only have few technical resources and I’m looking for sample deployment configurations. Hope you have to share for us. Thank you

Regards,

Sazon

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Sazon,

Yes, AirDefense servers operating in HA mode can exist at either different geographical or network locations.

For a sensor to connect to the Backup AirDefense server, this is very fast.  Any delay that you might see will be due to the logic on the sensor that determines when it should finally decide that the Primary server is Offline.  The response needs to be quick enough to not create too much delay, but you also don’t want a sensor connecting to the Backup server every time it misses just a single heartbeat connection with the Primary.

A sensor, once it has failed over to the Backup server, will then continue monitoring to see if the Primary server is once again available.  Once it determines that it is, the sensor will automatically reconnect to the Primary.

Not sure exactly of your last question, but will say that sensor connections to Primary and Backup are not affected by the location of the Primary/Secondary AirDefense servers.

GTM-P2G8KFN