cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP 8533 throughput issue

AP 8533 throughput issue

Shashi_Kant
New Contributor

I have installed AP 8533 and set channel 56ww but only getting 866 Mbps maximum throughput whereas from same laptop getting up to 1.7 Gbps throughput via other AP. AP8533 using current firmware version 5.8.6.5-002R.

Kindly suggest what I would need to do to achieve 1.7Gbps throughput.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Shashi,

The data rates you are talking about will vary and depends on the quality of the connection between the client and the AP.

An 866 (866.7) Mbps PHY rate is what you will see reported for an 80MHz wide channel, with 2 spatial streams, and a short guard interval (MCS9).  This is also the HIGHEST data rate achievable in 802.11ac for a 2 spatial stream connection.

The only way you will ever see higher data rates with the 8533 is if you use a wireless client that is capable of more than 2 spatial streams - like a Macbook pro, which is capable of 3 spatial streams.  But even if you have a 3 spatial stream client, the highest PHY rate achievable is only be 1300 Mbps.

The only way to achieve anything higher than 1300Mbps would be use a 4 spatial stream device (and I don’t know of ANY client devices that support this) or to use another AP to act as either a client (client bridge) or using mesh.  NOTE: 160MHz channels are not even considered here since their usage is highly discouraged and also not realistic in most environments)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Shashi,

The data rates you are talking about will vary and depends on the quality of the connection between the client and the AP.

An 866 (866.7) Mbps PHY rate is what you will see reported for an 80MHz wide channel, with 2 spatial streams, and a short guard interval (MCS9).  This is also the HIGHEST data rate achievable in 802.11ac for a 2 spatial stream connection.

The only way you will ever see higher data rates with the 8533 is if you use a wireless client that is capable of more than 2 spatial streams - like a Macbook pro, which is capable of 3 spatial streams.  But even if you have a 3 spatial stream client, the highest PHY rate achievable is only be 1300 Mbps.

The only way to achieve anything higher than 1300Mbps would be use a 4 spatial stream device (and I don’t know of ANY client devices that support this) or to use another AP to act as either a client (client bridge) or using mesh.  NOTE: 160MHz channels are not even considered here since their usage is highly discouraged and also not realistic in most environments)

GTM-P2G8KFN