Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP505i Clients connect on 2.4Ghz wireless but can't access internet

AP505i Clients connect on 2.4Ghz wireless but can't access internet

pkeats
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have an issue where clients connecting on the 2.4Ghz band can't see the internet. In particular I have a Sony vaio that connects, receives an IP and cant see internet. It's an old laptop. 5Ghz band is functioning correctly for other devices. Any help on this would be appreciated. Wondering if theres any legacy setting that I'm missing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christopher_Fra
Extreme Employee

Hello,

The configuration checks out, though we have seen issues with wireless clients and mix-mode encryption, which both WLANs have enabled. Not sure what the legacy 2.4GHz clients support, but if everything supports WPA2/CCMP/AES, I would configure encryption type as "encryption-type ccmp". If the legacy wireless clients only support WPA (TKIP), which has been long deprecated, I would modify the 2.4GHz WLAN with the following:

wpa-wpa2 exclude-wpa2-tkip (Exclude the WPA2 version of TKIP, support only WPA-TKIP). 

Only WPA-TKIP legacy clients would be able to auth/assoc to WLAN (not WPA2-CCMP). 

I also see that Smart-rf is being utilized for channel/power. Smart-rf only works with 3 or more APs in the environment and highly recommend statically assigning channel/power to the radios based on what is around the AP (use a freeware scan tool to see channels and power of neighboring APs). 

If issue is still persistent after making the above mods, I would get logging enabled on the AP, in order that we can see why the wireless clients are failing. 

Thanks,

Chris Frazee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Can you confirm that the problem with Internet connectivity is occurring for ANY client connecting to 2.4GHz radios?  Or is this happening to only some clients?

If the problem is happening for only some clients, I would check the DHCP lease values and confirm that everything is there. If it is, then can you PING the default route/gateway?  If not, can you even PING some other IP address on the same VLAN?

The recommendation to exclude mixed CCMP/TKIP encryption is good advice. It's the only issue I noticed in the config as well. If none of your clients REQUIRE TKIP, don't have it enabled in the config. Even if this is not the issue, it's still best to just use CCMP alone for various reasons.

pkeats
New Contributor II

Yes Chris it was for all 2.4GHz clients. Just updated to latest 7.9 WiNG firmware. All loaded great and now the AP won't boot into standalone mode from GUI. WING manager blank screen and also won't work in chrome. however i can ssh and use a serial connection. Not sure if its a firmware issue or me just not being proficient on CLI. All looks good and shows the correct firmware loading. I'm gonna try and reload firmware again but need to change interface to a static IP form DHCP (can you help me with how to enter this on CLI). This way I can connect directly to laptop to perform firmware change (only way i can get tftp to work)

appreciate help so far. loosing hope with this 

Christopher_Fra
Extreme Employee

Hello,

The configuration checks out, though we have seen issues with wireless clients and mix-mode encryption, which both WLANs have enabled. Not sure what the legacy 2.4GHz clients support, but if everything supports WPA2/CCMP/AES, I would configure encryption type as "encryption-type ccmp". If the legacy wireless clients only support WPA (TKIP), which has been long deprecated, I would modify the 2.4GHz WLAN with the following:

wpa-wpa2 exclude-wpa2-tkip (Exclude the WPA2 version of TKIP, support only WPA-TKIP). 

Only WPA-TKIP legacy clients would be able to auth/assoc to WLAN (not WPA2-CCMP). 

I also see that Smart-rf is being utilized for channel/power. Smart-rf only works with 3 or more APs in the environment and highly recommend statically assigning channel/power to the radios based on what is around the AP (use a freeware scan tool to see channels and power of neighboring APs). 

If issue is still persistent after making the above mods, I would get logging enabled on the AP, in order that we can see why the wireless clients are failing. 

Thanks,

Chris Frazee

pkeats
New Contributor II

To add a little more a smart fan I have also doesn't connect so i thinking it's an issue with the 2.4Ghz radio. All of the items that won't connect sync perfectly with a different router.

GTM-P2G8KFN