Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different power range on same rf-domain

Different power range on same rf-domain

tcheurby
New Contributor III
Hello community,

I would like to know if it was possible to assign a different smart-rf policy for APs from the same site.

For example, I have a big high-school with amphitheaters with lots of connections and classrooms where the number of APs is very dense with a high propagation verticality between my floors but also an administrative part which is a classic office area.

I would like to create a kind of smart-rf microcell policy with reduced power for coverage of high density areas and another in normal power mode.
Problem the smart-rf-policy only applies for one rf-domain and all my APs are in the same rf-domain.

Is there a way to do that to help my smart-rf policy and reduce the channel overlapp?

Strangely enough the command area tells us that we can assign a list of Channel and power but in fact only a list of channels is definable... a pity it corresponded to my need.

Vx-9000-1(config-smart-rf-policy-test)#?
Smart RF Mode commands:
area Specify channel list/ power for an area

Vx-9000-1(config-smart-rf-policy-test)#area test ?
channel-list Select channel list for area

Thank you for your help 
10 REPLIES 10

tcheurby
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I just saw that in the last release note 5.9.7 the feature for power has been added  🙂 

I don't think, however, that we can play on channel-width (don’t test yet) , it could also be useful in my opinion. If we have for exemple a stadium with channel  20 Mhz for public poeple and 80MHz for journalists who need throughput.

Thanks for this feature

Smart-RF enhancement to configure power per area - Implements capability to provide 
output power range for a configured area. 

smart-rf-policy test 
group-by area 
sensitivity custom 
assignable-power 5GHz max 2 
assignable-power 5GHz min 1 
assignable-power 2.4GHz max 2 
assignable-power 2.4GHz min 1 
channel-width 5GHz 80MHz 
area 1 assignable-power 5GHz min 3 
area 1 assignable-power 5GHz max 4 
area 1 assignable-power 2.4GHz min 3 
area 1 assignable-power 2.4GHz max 4 

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Hello,

You should tunnel.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Laptop-MU-Roaming-issue-Between-RF-Domai...
Since tunneling with VX9000 is not supported by extreme support team, You can test it by yourself in your lab.
Suggest it only if you don't have to meet a bandwidth requirements, because you don't have a dataplane with the VM.
Do it only if you well experienced with WING/networking.

Regards

Aviv

tcheurby
New Contributor III
Hello Aviv,

Could you tell me a little more about that?

Doesn't L3 roaming only concern wlan in tunnel mode? In my case all my SSIDs are in bridge mode, I'm not a fan of tunnel mode architecture that relies on WAN links to send traffic to the remote controller.

Have you already implemented this type of features?

thank you

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Hello guys,

I would create an additional RF domain/smart RF and work with L3 roaming.
GTM-P2G8KFN