cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change default username: admin at AP7522 ?

How to change default username: admin at AP7522 ?

ying_kin_Wong
New Contributor
How to change default username: admin to others eg: admincompanyA at AP7522 ?
8 REPLIES 8

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee
You cannot change an existing users username, only the password may be changed. Your option will be to create a new user and grant them whatever permissions you'd like them to have. On the same page click on the 'Add' button and create a new user. Once done delete the old entry. I would ask you to be very careful doing this as you will need at least one user with full administrative rights. So create user, test the credentials and roles then delete old entry once you are sure you can properly log in and have full administrative rights.

2d1c715fcaf841a1a2c1bc064666d7c4_29143-1tz1qz5_inline.jpg

Christoph S.

Thank you it solve my problem.

Bartholomew provided the link for creating a new user: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-change-the-username-and-password-fo....

In short:
SSH into your AP
Run the following commands:

>en
#conf t
#management-policy (if you haven't created a new policy then the name is: default)
#user password 0 role superuser access all
#show context | include password (make sure the changes have taken place and are correct. You should see both the new user and the default admin user)
#com wr

Start new SSH session and login as new user. Test to make sure you are allowed to make changes and have access to all functions.
From this new session run the following commands:

#conf t
#management-policy (if you haven't created a new policy then the name is: default)
#no user admin
#commit (DO NOT write to memory yet. Check your config first)
#show context (make sure the user 'admin' has been removed and only the new one was retained. If the config is correct proceed to next step; however, if it's incorrect, reboot the AP. If prompted to save the config, choose 'No')
#wr mem

Note: When you enter the new users password, it will be a cleartext; however, after saving the config, the password will become encrypted.
Christoph S.

How can i do it from ssh?
GTM-P2G8KFN