cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to factory reset AP-6511 without Discovery Tool?

Is it possible to factory reset AP-6511 without Discovery Tool?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have inherited multiple AP-6511 devices. I don't know the current passwords. I don't have the original purchase paperwork.

I can get as far as the login screen. There's a mix of 5.1 and 5.2 firmware.

Several devices broadcast active wireless networks. One has a 'guest' without password which I can connect to and pass traffic. The front keystone jacks will also pass traffic.

It appears that the physical reset button has no affect.

Here are my questions:

1) I've read that some other models support a loopback cable for reset purposes. Any ideas?

2) Are there internal connections for console access?

3) If I were to obtain another device with known login, could I make it a controller and recover access to the other devices?

Thanks for any advice.

--David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris,

As noted in the original post, the reset button does not work-- at least not in v5.1-v5.2. If you search the forums, you'll see that others reports the same experience. Additionally, the Discovery Tool cannot find my device with v5.1 firmware. Fortunately, the v5.1 device was likely a spare that had never been put into service. It turns out the default password was 'admin123' instead of the expected 'motorola'.

I was able to recover the remaining devices with the Discovery Tool. At this point, the VC rescue method is just an academic curiosity.

I'm guessing they make these wallplate APs difficult to reset to avoid tampering. They are typically installed low to the ground and there's only one screw blocking access to the reset button. Ironically, once the plate is removed you have the MAC address for spoofing the POE Ethernet connection. There's really no security.

--David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris,

As noted in the original post, the reset button does not work-- at least not in v5.1-v5.2. If you search the forums, you'll see that others reports the same experience. Additionally, the Discovery Tool cannot find my device with v5.1 firmware. Fortunately, the v5.1 device was likely a spare that had never been put into service. It turns out the default password was 'admin123' instead of the expected 'motorola'.

I was able to recover the remaining devices with the Discovery Tool. At this point, the VC rescue method is just an academic curiosity.

I'm guessing they make these wallplate APs difficult to reset to avoid tampering. They are typically installed low to the ground and there's only one screw blocking access to the reset button. Ironically, once the plate is removed you have the MAC address for spoofing the POE Ethernet connection. There's really no security.

--David

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee
Hello David,

Have you tried this procedure to reset the APs? https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082647

You can try the VC method whereas if you are able to get into and turn one of them into a VC, see if it will adopt the other APs after which you may reset them.  

Rgds,

Chris
Christoph S.
GTM-P2G8KFN