Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART RF 1,5,9,13

SMART RF 1,5,9,13

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Hello community,

Please advice with smart rf setting when using 1,5,9,13 channels instead of 1,6,11.
Sensitivity level medium/high.
There is some additional recommended settings for the latest mobile terminals from ZEBRA MC9200/TC20/TC25/TC56, HONEYWELL CK75/CN80/EDA50/CT60 ???
For example: radio-resource-measurement.

Thanks,

Aviv Kedem
5 REPLIES 5

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Thanks a lot Thomas

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi Aviv,

I believe that your ZEBRA terminals should be considered in planning phase, when you specify what is the threshold of WLAN signal strength in any point in your facility (e.g. -70 dBm at minimum for reasonable SNR and thus datarate), perhaps also regarding some finetune of additional WLAN settings.
If I understand your question is regarding SMART RF Policy sensitivity options. Sensitivity is about two factors:
  • how often does an AP go off-duty for scanning?
  • how long will the scan be performed?
For example medium sensitivity is about 50 ms off-channel every 6 seconds, and high sensitivity is about 150 ms off-channel every 1 second. So you can clearly see, the higher the sensitivity, the less airtime is free for user traffic. On the other hand, higher sensitivity means longer observation window of the RF spectrum so more likely adequate channels and powers being negotiated by APs based on what's happening around.
I'd say that high sensitivity could be better for warehouses where you don't need super high throughput for barcode scanners, but you often still have to deal with 2.4 GHz and if the design didn't consider manual channel&power selection and nothing can be done about this, SMART RF could be helpful as 2.4 GHz doesn't have many channels and there's a lot of interference to deal with.
I wouldn't make high sensitivity for dense mobile environments as it may greatly increase packet loss -> higher retransmission -> lower final capacity. If it's possible, so far it's still better to do manual channel re-use plan for that.
And yes, if you do SMART RF, try using more than channels 1/6/13. RF environment might be often surprising so four-channel plan might be more efficient in some particular site. By the way, even channels 1/6/13 are not truly non-overlapping...

Hope that helps,
Tomasz

Daniel_Fraile_V
Extreme Employee
Hello Aviv, it depends, what you want to achieve? What kind of deployment it is?

Hello Daniel,

Sensitivity level medium/high, so 2 options:
1 - warehouse
2 - high density

Thanks

Aviv
GTM-P2G8KFN