Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Calling

Wi-Fi Calling

froggy
New Contributor III

Hello,

Do I need to allow or change any settings in the  wireless infrastructure to allow wifi calling? 

I have that enabled on my android phone(as well as other users) but when i disable cellular data or put in airplane mode i'm not able to make calls unless I enable cell data (sometimes it does work but maybe because i have enough cell service?). Other users complain about wifi but when i go onsite they say that the issue is calls and texts so they say that wifi doesnt work. I read somewhere that wifi calling depends on whether you carrier allows it and may have to allow some ports for it to work? 

Do I need to enable anything on the ssid? like enable wmm?

we have wireless phones but a lot users just use their cell phone. This is not critical but i was wondering if there was a way to make this work without having to make complex changes. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jan_Reister
Contributor

It's a cellular carrier thing, nothing to do with the specific WLAN settings. The carrier must have it enabled so that it authenticates a data connection from your public IP pool as your secific phone call. Of course your WLAn should be well designed, but you depend on your mobile carrier.

View solution in original post

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @froggy 

nothing special needs to be configured on the WiFi, but your network firewall needs to allow these ports:

udp/500
udp/4500

Also your provider must support it. Even if the provider generally supports it, it might be neccessary to have it enabled by them per contract. (this was the case for vodafone germany)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor

Hi @froggy 

nothing special needs to be configured on the WiFi, but your network firewall needs to allow these ports:

udp/500
udp/4500

Also your provider must support it. Even if the provider generally supports it, it might be neccessary to have it enabled by them per contract. (this was the case for vodafone germany)

froggy
New Contributor III

@Stefan_K_ 

Thank you!

froggy
New Contributor III

@Stefan_K_ 

thank you!

Jan_Reister
Contributor

It's a cellular carrier thing, nothing to do with the specific WLAN settings. The carrier must have it enabled so that it authenticates a data connection from your public IP pool as your secific phone call. Of course your WLAn should be well designed, but you depend on your mobile carrier.

GTM-P2G8KFN