cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wing v5.8.5 + v5.8.4 - AP7522I adoption failure

Wing v5.8.5 + v5.8.4 - AP7522I adoption failure

Stuart_Young
New Contributor
I'm trying to set up 3x AP7522I's with one of them as a VC controlling the rest. Network is flat and there is an external DNS and Router to outside the network. IP Addressing is a private network with a /24 range. I'm using a small PoE switch (no VLANS, nothing special) to set this up, and have used this same switch with previous setups for initial config.

With previous versions of WiNG (Zebra/Motorola days, as late as v5.8.2) the initial web interface setup process guided you through setting up a basic config, adopting the AP's, etc. I found the new "Startup Assist" button, but it's no where near as detailed as the old process was.

That said, the main issue is that I can't seem to get the VC and AP's to communicate properly. It seems like the AP's aren't being properly adopted by the VC.

VC AP is running v5.8.5. and the AP's are running v5.8.4 (firmware as they came in the box, the VC was just the unit I connected to first). I suspect that they all need to be running the same version (it's usually what I do), and this is actually a result of the version differences between AP's.

Notes:
  1. The VC is also set up to provide DHCP services.
  2. On the VC I can see the AP's in the Access Points list and can edit them. However the AP's get DHCP addresses and no matter what I do, I can't give them fixed addresses (which are outside the DHCP range), despite each AP in the web interface on the VC showing details I've set. They also don't pick up any of the configured WLAN(s).
  3. Looking at the non-VC AP's directly shows them to have default configs.
Can someone confirm if the issue here is firmware differences across the AP's?

If so, where do I go from here to get these AP's all on the same version of firmware? As mentioned, I haven't played with this stuff since it was all Zebra (though I did deal with Motorola and even Symbol well before that), and everything changing around support has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.

While I could probably step the units back to v5.8.2 firmware, I would prefer to go forward, rather than backwards.

If there's some other way to force the AP's to connect to the VC (eg: CLI thru serial/SSH), or debug commands I can run to try and pin down the issue, I'm all ears.

PS: I have about 16 similar configs to this on older firmware.
10 REPLIES 10

Stuart_Young
New Contributor
Thanks to everyone who commented. I've now got it all up and running without issues.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Glad you're in good shape!

Andy_Louangrath
Extreme Employee
Hi Stuart,

Just to expand on Robert's comment. If in fact it is version mismatch, you can verify whether or not there's firmware image on VC by executing the command below from VC CLI enabled prompt;

#show device-upgrade version

If there's no firmware image on the VC. You would need to upload the image to VC in order for the VC to push (upgrade) the firmware to the AP.

RobertZ
Extreme Employee
Firmware mismatch is causing the adoption failure. You can confirm by running CLI command 'show adoption status' on the VC.
GTM-P2G8KFN