AP7562 Orientation - Radio 1 up or down?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
In the prior Motorola version of this AP, I believe there was some reason for mounting the radios in a specific fashion (R1 up/down versus R2 up/down).  It may have been that you could only assign certain frequencies to a given radio and that they were somehow biased.  Does anyone know if this is an issue today?  Does it matter which side is up on an outdoor 7562 using the standard outdoor dipole antennas?
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

• 2,424 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Shay Weir

Shay Weir

• 1,648 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The ports where the cables connect to should be facing downward.  Otherwise water may get inside.
Photo of Timo

Timo

• 3,210 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
You need always to check your antenna pattern. Based on this pattern you can mount the antennas. What PN is the standard outdoor dipole antenna for you?
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

I think these dipoles are the same, regardless of the radio they service.  I think the prior issue was that the radios were more effective with the 5G facing upward as opposed to downward and they could not be assigned to either set of ports.  It looks like now they can be assigned either way (still not sure what the best practice is, 5GHZ up or down vs. 2.4)?
Photo of Vedran Jurak

Vedran Jurak

• 848 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The gore vent needs to be facing down which means R1 is also down.
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

• 4,932 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Eric,

as far as I know this is not valid anymore.
Based on used chipset we can also share connectors for both radios (i.e. AP7522 / 7532)

For outdoor APs i.e. AP7562 the mouting shall follow installation guide in order to maintain correct cabling etc. The important thing here is "the gore vent" which shall point ideally down to the ground.
You can see more here in installation guide

Regards,
Ondrej
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

Thanks, Ondrej...  That's what I read but was not sure if there was still any validity to the old limitations.  Appreciate the quick response from all!
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

Eric, 

Nowadays with MIMO and Tx beam forming we do not have (that) many factors to worry about.
More important is obviously what Timo mentioned above - antenna pattern.

Now, if you consider this solved, please mark the thread as Answered so you'll help others to find explanation quicker.

Regards,
Ondrej
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

Silly question, where is the option to mark the thread as "answered"?  I don't see it anywhere...
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
AFAIK only a moderator could change the status.
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

Well, 

somebody did already :-)

Every day something new to learn...

Thank you all
(Edited)
Photo of Daniel Mejia

Daniel Mejia, Employee

• 954 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello Eric,

Please refer to the AP7562 installation guide (link below) for antenna mounting guidelines on page 17.
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/ExtremeWireless/AP7562_IG_MN-002759-01_REVA_EN.pdf
Photo of Tuan Nguyen

Tuan Nguyen

• 678 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can i plug anten 5ghz to R1 ?
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

Hello Tuan,

depends on the antenna type.

We do provide single band antenna optimized for particular frequency and we do provide also dual band antennas to be used with both radios.

Please refer to Antenna Guide under this link 

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Tuan Nguyen

Tuan Nguyen

• 678 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you

I using omi and sector anten, can i plug in to R1 instead R2
Photo of Timo

Timo

• 3,210 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Never mix different antennas on one radio!

You can use omni for 2.4GHz and sector for 5GHz, no problem. But don't use booth on the same radio.