how many vrrp X770 support

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I've created 7 vrid for 7 vlans and failed to create the 8th vrid for the 8th vlan.
 it showed:Error: Max number of virtual MACs reached, cannot use vrid 8 to create another.
Does  the X770 just support 7 vrrp?

the configuration of vrrp like this in my switch:
create vrrp vlan vlan4005 vrid 6
create vrrp vlan vlan4010 vrid 2
create vrrp vlan vlan4012 vrid 3
create vrrp vlan VTEP vrid 1
create vrrp vlan vlan4014 vrid 4
create vrrp vlan vlan4000 vrid 5
create vrrp vlan vlan3900 vrid 7

the version of X770 is 16.1.3.6
Photo of aaron

aaron

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Brad Parker

Brad Parker, Technical Support Engineer

• 3,266 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Aaron, 

This is correct. There is a maximum of 7 VRIDs.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you're trying to do and maybe we can help you out? For instance, you can use the same VRID for multiple vlans, if you have two redundant routers.

Thanks,
Brad
(Edited)
Photo of aaron

aaron

it's a small datacenter. each server connects to 2 X670, then each X670 connects to 2 X770.
 topo like this:

we have enabled the mlage between x670 and X770.
Photo of Brad Parker

Brad Parker, Technical Support Engineer

• 3,266 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, it looks like you could use mlag and fabric routing (added in 16.2.2.4 which is the recommended version for the x770)
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/An-example-of-VRRP-fabric-routing-configur...

The example in the link only covers fabric routing. Each of the vlans can be added to one VRID.
Photo of aaron

aaron

hi, Brad Paker, thank you for your suggestion. but it may not suitable for my datacenter.
in my ceneter, there are 2 scene. 
Scene A: some vlans are layer 3 networks. their gateways are in the X770.
Scene B: some vlans are pure layer 2 networks. so the malg is needed to implement the redundancy. these layer 2 network vlans are across the X770. in fact, there are 8 X670 in my center. they are connected to X770 like topo above. the servers under different X670 may communicate each other and they are in the same vlans.

i've read the EXOS_User_Guide_16_1.  it doesn't support vlan with different vlan id by the same vrid. the same vrid just supports the vlan configed different ip.
Photo of Pala, Zdenek

Pala, Zdenek, Employee

• 8,474 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The VRRP is per vlan. So The reason for more VRIDs is if you need more routers on the same vlan.

In your case you can use the same VRID on each vlan.
Photo of Stefano Dall'Osto

Stefano Dall'Osto

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi,
I think the MAX number of vrrps is around 256 ... I think in certain cases you can increase it ...
anyway, always remember that the MAX number of VRIDs is 7 ...
that means you can only have 7 different virtual mac-addresses to handle the vrrp stuff ...
but you can have multiple VRRP in different vlans using the same VRID ...
I normally use just 1 VRID for everything ...
sometimes I like to use 2 VRIDs because I like to "split" the mastership between the 2 main routers, and use 2 different VRIDs to better "identify" who is the master ... for example ROUTER 1 is the master for VRID 1, and router 2 is the master for VRID 2 ...
or you can divide following your "own" idea ...

but again ... you can use the same VRID for all vlans you have ...

cheers

Stefano
Photo of Grosjean, Stephane

Grosjean, Stephane, Employee

• 12,582 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Have a look at 22.2 RN, you'll see there have been a lot of improvements for the number of VRRP instances and VRID. Still, you can have several VLANs sharing the same VRID.
Photo of aaron

aaron

hi,thank you for all. i've known more about the vrid by your suggestion. i'll try in my switch.