RFS6000 to VX9000 Migration

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Answered
Hi Champs,

I'm fairly new with Extreme Wireless.
We have a case where a customer wants to replace RFS6000 with VX9000.
They are running 2 SSIDs (Local Mode on VLAN 1) and 2 SSIDs (Tunnel Mode on VLAN 10).
The tunnel mode SSIDs are for guest and mobile users which have access to internet only.
To provide internet only to VLAN10, they have created 1 port on RFS6000 as access port on VLAN10 and connected that port to internet router directly.

My questions are:
1. What's the best way to migrate from RFS6000 to VX9000.
2. Since VX9000 wouldn't have physical interfaces, how could we separate the guest traffic to have only internet access?
Photo of dot1x

dot1x

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Michael (Misha) Elin

Michael (Misha) Elin, Employee

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello,
  I would recommend to keep all SSIDs as local bridging, VLAN 10 tagged on APs and available in switch trunks and internet router connected to some switsh port configured as VLAN 10 access. Obviously LAN switches should support VLAN tagging.

Misha
Photo of Jian Dong Chong

Jian Dong Chong, Employee

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi Moin,

For migration,

1. I would strongly advice you to approach one of the Extreme Account manager for the process of license migration.

2. VX9000 do not have a dedicated dataplane and hence tunneling is not feasible.

3. If you required more VLAN to be utilized, you can always configured your GE1 port as trunk and allowed those VLAN

Thank You
Photo of gluo

gluo

• 600 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jian,

Do you know for sure if AP licences from RFS6000 can be migrated to VX9000?

best regards
Photo of Michael (Misha) Elin

Michael (Misha) Elin, Employee

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Moin,
  You should have RFS under running SW service contract to do that. If you don't have a contract, please ask extreme service sales team to settle this - I am pretty sure they can do it.

Misha 
Photo of Juan Daza

Juan Daza

• 60 Points
Does Extreme has this service? i mean migrating RFS-6010-10010-WR to VX9000???