cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP's being slammed by multicast requests? LLC packets are hitting 40,000. Our ssids are on different vlans. Any guidance one how to correct this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AP's being slammed by multicast requests? LLC packets are hitting 40,000. Our ssids are on different vlans. Any guidance one how to correct this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

donotusemhudgen
New Contributor
8 REPLIES 8

jnesci
New Contributor II

I had the exact same problem with Chromebooks. Here's what I did to minimize my problems (hopefully you're managing them in the Google Admin Console):

1)Disable or Restrict Auto Updates

In Admin console go to:

Device Management

Chrome Management (on left)

Device Settings

Device Update Settings section

Turn off auto updates OR Restrict to version at most 69.*

2)Disable Caching/Pre-fetching

Device Management

Chrome Management (on left)

User Settings

User Experience section

DNS Pre-fetching - change to never

Network Prediction - change to Do Not predict network actions

donotusemhudgen
New Contributor

@Sam Pirok​ , thanks for your response. I got swamped yesterday and wasn't able to run wireshark, but I will get on that this morning.

@Joe Nesci​ , we have a mix of chromebooks and macbooks and the occasional teacher phone. Mostly chromebooks at this point.

jnesci
New Contributor II

Matt,

What kind of devices are you using on your wireless network?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If you can run a packet capture, I can give you some places to look for this issue. The following guide will walk you through the packet capture process, for reference, depending on your HiveManager platform:

HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com): https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture

HiveManager (formerly NG, cloud.aerohive.com): https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

GTM-P2G8KFN