cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP230 Doesn't Provide IP Address to Clients

AP230 Doesn't Provide IP Address to Clients

whittemoreec
New Contributor

We have an Aerohive AP230 that clients can connect to and the clients are authenticated, but they don't get an IP address. When I do a Client Monitor on a device that connects to the AP, it doesn't make a DHCP DISCOVER message at all per the logs. If I take that device and walk across the hall, it automatically connects and gets an IP address from that AP and the client monitor shows the normal discover, offer, request, and acknowledge. The settings are identical on the APs. I checked the vlans on the ports and they are identical. We have 56 APs and this is the only one that has this issue. I contacted Aerohive support and they SSHed in and they say the AP is making the request and it is a backend issue. Like I said the CLient Monitor doesn't show that. Any ideas of what I can do to troubleshoot? Like I said, the VLANS are right. The AP can probe the DHCP server on each of the VLANs that it is connected to. I guess the next thing is to take it down and try it somewhere else, but if you have any ideas that don't involve a 16 ft ladder I'd greatly appreciate them.

1 REPLY 1

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If we can run a packet capture on the AP that isn't giving the DHCP addresses out, we can get a better look at the DHCP traffic than we can with the client monitor. If you'd like to email that to me directly, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com. Please also let me know the client MAC that you use to replicate the issue during the packet capture so I can be sure to look at the correct traffic.

If you're using HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com), this guide will walk you through how to run a packet capture: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture

If you're using HiveManager (formerly NG, cloud.aerohive.com), this guide will walk you through how to run a packet capture: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

GTM-P2G8KFN