cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP230s randomly stop passing traffic, anyone else having this issue?

AP230s randomly stop passing traffic, anyone else having this issue?

jcoombes
New Contributor

Ok, so in the last few weeks I have been dealing with an issue that seem to have randomly started to affect specific APs.

What will happen is a client with connect to an AP, get an IP from our DHCP server, but then the AP stops passing any traffic from the client this seems to affect all my devices, be it Chromebook, iPad or Macbook a reboot of the AP seems to fix the issue for a short while, but then it starts happening again.

Oh, and it affect specific SSIDs on the AP (not all of them) so SSID 1 won't pass traffic, but SSID2 works just fine.

Another common thing is that they are all AP230s.

Anyone else have this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Weiliu, have you tried using the 10.x firmware line for the AP230? That is the latest firmware line available and will have all the latest bug fixes and features. If you’re still having issues on the latest firmware, I’d suggest opening a technical support case so our engineers can troubleshoot that issue with you. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jcoombes
New Contributor

Still having this issue. Specifically with the AP230s. I am hearing that other people are having the same issue as well.

jcoombes
New Contributor

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in answering, been a busy week.

Ok, both SSIDs use a simple PSK authentication, the two SSIDs are on different VLANs and have different user profiles, though there are no IP/MAC based firewalls setup other than default/standard ones in HM.

Also, there have been no other big changes or even small ones to the network, the APs in question have seen ~100 days of uptime prior with no issue, and the client counts have been about what we normally see, usually less than 25 clients over all the SSIDs on the APs.

The thing about this issue is that is seems to be random, so getting support on the line when it is happening is proving to be a challenge, though I did manage it 10 days ago. The tech suggested a reboot, full config push and a firmware update to the latest golden (8.2r4). This seems to have made the issue happen less often, but it is still happening, at least at one of my sites (I am still waiting on feedback from the other site).

I am not sure if this tech opened a ticket or not, if he did, then for some reason it's not listed in my ticket list here. I did let him know to close the ticket when we were done talking, as I figured it would be sometime before I got reports back from the teacher saying if the issue was resolved or not.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hi Jarrod,

What kind of SSID Authentication for SSID1 & SSID2?

Do they put the client devices into the same vLAN/User-Profile, or different ones that may have IP/MAC Based Firewall rules?

I see you have Select Support Subscription, maybe a Support Case and External Access for an ATAC engineer would help us identify any differences in configuration that could cause this behavior.

Did any significant change happen on the network otherwise? Large number of new or different than usual clients? Higher density of mobile devices than usual, or larger number of devices updating their Firmware/OS at the same time or in sequence?

We can get you a start in answering those questions from the scope of the Aerohive equipment, and figure out if this is simply config related, or possibly traffic related, or something else,

Happy to help,

David Souri

HiveCommunity

GTM-P2G8KFN