cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner AP122 walkthrough?

Beginner AP122 walkthrough?

Don_Tuleja
New Contributor

I'm testing a couple of AP122's and so far having some trouble figuring out things like how to pass DHCP up to my DHCP server. I've found some instructions, but they don't seem to match what I'm seeing in my HiveManager.

I'd love just a walkthrough of how to integrate these into an existing infrastructure.

Heck, one of the instructions I found said to set the country code before doing anything else. When I do that, I get a "you cannot change the country code of the device because only devices whose regions are set to World can be changed". So obviously there's more there that needs done.

My Enterasys APs were dead simple to configure, so I'm surprised I'm running into simple challenges like these.

If anybody can point to some better documentation that I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't need to upgrade unless you want to host the DHCP server on an Aerohive AP, which shouldn't be necessary. We'd want to see what DHCP packets the client devices are seeing or not seeing, and the best way to see that is with a packet capture. Here is a guide for how to set that up and run it, if you could send the capture to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com I can let you know what the results are.

Packet capture guide- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't need to upgrade unless you want to host the DHCP server on an Aerohive AP, which shouldn't be necessary. We'd want to see what DHCP packets the client devices are seeing or not seeing, and the best way to see that is with a packet capture. Here is a guide for how to set that up and run it, if you could send the capture to me at communityhelp@aerohive.com I can let you know what the results are.

Packet capture guide- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Packet-Capture-in-NG

Don_Tuleja
New Contributor

Yes, my own backend network.

I have SSIDs created. I can connect to them if I manually set an IP address. Otherwise I get no IP from the AP122.

If I plug a laptop in to the cable the AP is using, I get an IP. The AP also gets an IP. It's just not passing it through. DHCP on the physical network is working fine.

Apparently I need to pay to upgrade the HiveManager so I can access DHCP relay?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you hosting the DHCP server on an Aerohive AP or on your backend network? If you are hosting the DHCP server on your own backend network, the only thing you would need to do it set the proper VLAN on the user profile you set in the SSID. As long as that VLAN has a DHCP server on it, and the switch ports between the AP and the DHCP server support the VLAN in use, you should be good to go.

Just to get you started, here is a guide for setting up a PSK SSID in HiveManager (formerly NG), if you can give me some more detail about how you want to set your network up, I can provide more specific instructions or guides.

PSK Guide- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/PSK-SSID-How-To-NG

GTM-P2G8KFN