cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice to create a guest network for temporary guests that is easy to access, but hard to abuse.

Best practice to create a guest network for temporary guests that is easy to access, but hard to abuse.

cfitz-gerald
New Contributor

I want up to 40 people to be able to easily connect for up to 5 days, and then be automatically disabled from logging in again. And then next week a new set of 40 people can connect. I don't want to make an WPA2 SSID with a static password, since others might learn the password and abuse it, plus all the people who have connected in the past would still be able to connect anytime they are in the area.

I don't want to use an auto-PSK the generates 40 PSKs that last 5 days each, because someone would have to manage that list of PSKs and assign to the guest devices.

Then I was thinking of an SSID that allows unlimited devices per PSK, then an auto generated PSK that regens the password every week. However, then I need to advertise the new PSK password every week.

So, just wondering if anybody out there can think of a better method for my needs? thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Of course, if you're using HiveManager (formerly NG), the guide below will walk you through the self registration set up. The extra settings regarding having the user expire after 5 days are set when you create the PPSK user group.

https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Self-Registration-PPSK-SSID-in-Hivemanager

If you're using HiveManager Classic, you'll want this guide instead:

https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Self-Registration-SSID-with-IDM

cfitz-gerald
New Contributor

Thanks, thats a good idea as well. Would you happen to have a link to instructions for that?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you considered a self registration SSID so your guests register themselves, and are provided a password via text or email? You can set the self registration group up to have the users expire after 5 days, and if you don't allow renewal, they wouldn't be able to re-register with the same name and email so you wouldn't have to worry about repeat registrations.

GTM-P2G8KFN