Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to control access to a specific SSID

Best way to control access to a specific SSID

amcfarland
New Contributor

Hi there,

We use an SSID that authenticates via PSK for devices that don't have the ability to use WPA2 or ones that need special filtering (TVs, chromecast, kindlesfire, etc.) This SSID has special filtering applied to it that makes it less sensitive than our normal SSIDs used by teachers and students. Somehow the password for this got leaked and now a ton of students are using this SSID to get past websites.

Is there a way to knock these students off for good via their MAC instead of changing the password? I wouldn't mind changing the password if we didn't have so many legitimate devices using this SSID. If I change the password, I am going to have to reconnect like 500 iPads and I just don't have time to do that.

I think it was leaked because some devices like smart TVs let you uncover passwords after they're connected. I don't know how it happened but I definitely want to look into a long-term solution in case it happens again. Since they are using a PSK, there is no username associated with the connection. Normally we just disable the active directory account to get them off of our wifi/network but I can't associate the MAC with the student. A MAC address table for this SSID would be perfect since I could easily get a list of all legitimate devices together in time.

Has anyone had this issue before and found a solution? Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

GeorgiaMason
Contributor II

MAC filtering can be done on the SSID. However, each MAC address and/or MAC OUI does need to be entered manually.

Have you looked into a device management platform to make such changes to multiple devices simultaneously?

GTM-P2G8KFN