cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonjour VLAN Visability

Bonjour VLAN Visability

eds
New Contributor

We are trying to setup a Bonjour gateway to allow Apple Airplay to pass across our Wired and Wireless VLAN's. We have added the wired VLAN's to the trunk group that connects to the AP's, however those VLAN's are not in use on any Aerohive Network Policy's because they were dedicated for wired connections on our Cisco switches. So far, using VLAN Probe and looking at the Bonjour VLAN's...they can not see the wired VLAN's even though they are in the trunk group.

Do I need to add those VLAN's to an SSID just to make them accessible for VLAN Probe and Bonjour even though I never plan to use any wireless devices on those VLANs? Even though they are in a trunk group...it feels like the AP's do not know how to address them.

The trunk group now consists of VLAN 10, 30, 50, and 60.

VLAN 10 = Wired Users

VLAN 30 = Wireless Users

VLAN 50 = BYOD Devices

VLAN 60 = Guest Devices

VLAN 30 and 50 are tied to our CORP SSID and VLAN 60 is tied to the GUEST SSID. VLAN 10 is just in the trunk group.but not tied to an SSID. We were just trying to get Bonjour to see it to advertise services between VLAN's.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

agroch
New Contributor

HAve you able to resolve that issue? looks like I have similar problem, thanks

eds
New Contributor

I am beginning to think it might not be seeing VLAN 10 because we have ip pim sparse-dense-mode set on the VLAN. Trying to test this now. I do not have that set on VLAN 30, 50, or 60.

eds
New Contributor

Brian,

Thank you for the reply. I have not specified a BDD yet...I was planning on that but haven't made it that far. If I SSH into the AP that became the BDD...the show bonjour VLAN shows 30, 50, and 60 but VLAN 10 is nowhere to be seen. The physical port has that VLAN in the trunk (triple checked) and that VLAN does work because it is the primary wired VLAN for all the other ports and all my users get DHCP from it when wired. If I probe...it fails for that VLAN though...even though it is on the trunk. No MAC filtering or DHCP limitations in place and I am not out of addresses.

Sam recommended sniffing the switch port which I am planning to do when I am back in that office.

Thanks again.

Eric

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Eric,

Are you specifying a device to act as the BDD? If you SSH into any of your APs and do a "show bonjour status", you should see a "My BDD". See below. That is the device that will be listening on the VLANs for said mDNS traffic.

> show bon sta 

==========================

Note: bonjour client only learning/registering aerohive special services

Running as bonjour client

Bonjour Gateway Status:Disabled

Realm Name: c413:e200:6040

Device priority: 23

My BDD: 0.0.0.0

Local mgt0: IP(192.168.1.94/24), VLAN(1) MAC(c413:e200:6040)

Total 1 Local Attached VLANs: 1 

Total Services: 0; Total Self-Services: 0; Published Times: 0

Total 0 Remote BDDs:

Bonjour VLAN range: all VLAN is allowed(1-4094)

Now if you SSH into the "My BDD" IP, you can run a few commands. The one that might be the most help is "show bonjour vlan". This will show you the VLANs that this AP/BDD knows of for listening/retransmitting mDNS traffic to/from. If you do not see the VLANs you expect, is the physical port that this specific device is plugged into trunking all of the VLANs that you want to participate in the mDNS exchange? That is a hard requirement.

This command "interface mgt0 dhcp-probe vlan-range <min VLAN> <max VLAN>" will let you test DHCP from this particular AP on said VLANs.

DHCP must work in some form or fashion for this device on the desired VLANs as it will pull an IP on the VLANs on a sub interface so that it can participate in listening for mDNS traffic on the VLANs. So if you're doing any form of MAC filtering or DHCP limitations, you would need to configure a DHCP reservation or something to allow this BDD to pull an IP.

Depending on how things go from here, if/when you get it working, I typically would alter the bonjour gateway priority of one device so that it is always the BDD of the environment. Especially if you have to do some customized LAN configurations to get it to function as you desire.

GTM-P2G8KFN