cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge two AP390's

Bridge two AP390's

rkowals
New Contributor III

I'd like to know what is the best practice to bridge two AP390's for a bldg that isn't on any copper or fiber. Distance to each unit will be about 100 meters and will be connecting an outdoor wifi can on each end and connected to one of the 2.4 leads on each AP.

14 REPLIES 14

rkowals
New Contributor III
After replacing one of the AP390's, kept dropping profile, I was able to get the bridge connected within the office, now we will see if it work across campus. I'll keep you posted.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The APs ports are in bridge-access when using the access port type. If you want the port to use bridge-dot1q, you would use the trunk ports settings in the device templates. If you are connecting to a switch, you would want to use a trunk or uplink port on the remote AP.

You should be able to test with the APs in the same room, and Mesh connections always need a clear line of site to each end of the connection. Are you seeing any neighbors when you run "show acsp neighbor"? If not, can you confirm all of the antennas are attached and assigned to the correct radio (2.4 or 5GHz)?

rkowals
New Contributor III

Both AP's are assigned a static IP, I had the remote AP plugged into a POE Unmanaged switch. I brought the AP back to the office, plugged the remote AP to an unmanaged switch with an POE Injector. I'm not seeing any reference to configure the Ethernet port as a bridge-access or bridge-dot1q port. It would be helpful if all this information was all in one KB instead of piecing it all together.

Should my remote AP be some distance from the Local Bridge, rather in the same room while I'm configuring the devices?

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

Richard,

What is the far end AP390 plugged into? If it is a switch, the link will never come up as the AP is expecting to get DHCP over the link it senses on the ethernet port. You will need to pre-configure the eth0 port as a bridge-access or bridge-dot1q port first.

Likewise, if you have physical access to said switch (assuming it is a switch), you can also shut down that port (assuming it's a switch that will still deliver POE while shutdown). This will in turn move the "backhaul" over to RF. If you take this route, once the link comes up and you can fix the eth0 port via the GUI and an update, you can then re-enable said ethernet port.

A show acsp neighbor command might show you some information on far end device while the link is not up. Since the show hive <hivename> neighbor did not.

rkowals
New Contributor III

this is what I got from the online bridge:

HSW_Bridge01#show hive

Name     N-vlan Frag  RTS   Mac filter

----     ------ ----  ----  ----------

hive0    1    2346  2346  None

VHM-WEQXZLME 1    2346  2346  VHM-WEQXZLME

HSW_Bridge01#show hive VHM-WEQXZLME neighbor

Chan=channel number; Pow=Power in dBm;

A-Mode=Authentication mode; Cipher=Encryption mode;

Conn-Time=Connected time; Hstate=Hive State;

Mac Addr    Chan Tx Rate Rx Rate Pow(SNR)   A-Mode  Cipher Conn-Time  Hstate Phymode Chan-width Hive

-------------- ---- ------- ------- -------- ---------- -------- --------- -------- ------- ---------- ----

Total neighbor count: 0

HSW_Bridge01#

GTM-P2G8KFN