Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get inter-station traffic to work

Can't get inter-station traffic to work

anant_srivastav
New Contributor

Hi Aerohive experts,

Seeking some guidance about inter-station traffic and how to get it to work.

I want 2 clients(Windows 10 laptops, lets call them station 1 and 2) connecting to a common SSID XYZ to communicate with each other.

Here are some insights into our deployment :

1. Both devices connect to the same user-profile inside an SSID 'XYZ' and 'Enable Inter-station' traffic option is enabled on that SSID.
  2. Due to the nature of the user profile we have, there is a firewall policy also in play on the access points. I've added 2 firewalls rules to allow traffic as follows : a) From Station A -> To Station B : Allow all services/applications and,  From Station B -> To Station A : Allow all services/applications
  3. To er on the side of caution, I've also added a Windows firewall rule on both Station A and B to allow incoming traffic from the other station.

Despite all this, I can't even ping station B from Station A or vice versa.

Our end goal is to allow an iPhone to cast it's screen(using apple's screen mirroring feature) to a Windows laptop(which runs a third party application) using Wifi. We have tested this application by connecting both the iPhone and the Windows laptop by connecting them to hotspot network using Wifi and it works fine then but as soon as we switch them to the Aerohive Wifi network on the XYZ ssid, it stops working.

Hivemanager version we're using is 6.8r3.

Any suggestions as to what we might be missing?

3 REPLIES 3

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Even with the 3rd party app, you will still need to enable Bonjour within your wifi network configuration.  Also, you shouldn't need any firewall rules at all, not within the wifi interface nor on the computer (but leave the computer ones alone for now)....

Once you enable Bonjour, you will need to select which Bonjour services.  Id suggest selecting all of them, testing the computers can connect to each other, and then take them off one by one and test until you only have the services you need.

Hope this helps.

Jason.

anant_srivastav
New Contributor

Hi Sam

I've just sent an email to you with the firewall rules configured on the user-profile.

Let me know if there's anything that catches your eye.

Thanks,

Anant

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Would you be able to share a screen shot of the firewall rules you have in place? If you'd rather send that to me directly, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com.

GTM-P2G8KFN