cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive Web Portal client ip address?

Captive Web Portal client ip address?

mikael_sjolund
New Contributor

We are using a captive web portal for our guest network, and when guests joins the open registration SSID where the portal is published, they got ip-addresses on the same network as the access points, which is our network devices management network, and that looks ugly even if they most likely can't access anything in the network.

Is it possible to use different ip-addresses than the same network as the AP's management interface for the registration SSID?

Also, it would be very nice to be able to access a captive web portal over LAN, since we have a different portal where our employees can create PSKs for their mobile phones and tablets, but it seems to be a complicated to understand setup with a registration SSID and a SSID that is the real network they should use. Registering a PSK for their tablet using their normal computer would be easier to explain. Is it at all possible to access the captive portal over LAN?

5 REPLIES 5

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Could you send me tech data so we can look in to why those IP scopes aren't getting applied? My direct email is communityhelp@aerohive.com. You can get tech data by going to Tools> Utilities> Get tech data> Check the box next to the AP> Get tech data (blue button at the top of the page this time)

mikael_sjolund
New Contributor

Yes, I did push the config

I have now tested this and got some additional information through other sources. These ip-addresses specifies the ip-address that the CWP portal uses internally, but the ip-address that the client is using to contacting the AP is specified by the default user profile setting in the PPSK SSID that the CWP is connected to.

Still it's open if the CWP is accessible in some other way that trough a special registration SSID.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

My apologies, I misspoke earlier, the CWP is on the LAN by default since it's hosted on the APs themselves. So the ETH interfaces would need to be included when we set this manually. Did you push these changes out to the APs you're testing with?

mikael_sjolund
New Contributor

Do you mean these settings? I tried to set them as attached image, but still got the ip-address from the management network. Might there be something more that needs to be set before these addresses are assigned? And why do I need to set up addresses on the eth interfaces if the cwp only is available through wifi?

4671fd282aa74a7daaab770ed750c1e7_0690c000006GRBzAAO.png

GTM-P2G8KFN