cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients with high TX rates but low RX rates

Clients with high TX rates but low RX rates

wayne_sprouse
New Contributor

In one of my locations we have AP130s deployed in every classroom. We are only using the 5Ghz radio and have the power reduced to 10 or lower. When doing a show acsp neighbor command generally the highest neighbor is -69. I have noticed that a number of the MacBook Airs with 11ac wireless cards are showing a TX rate of about 360M but a RX rate generally in the double digits. I connected a MacBook Pro with a 11n wireless card and it stayed at a solid 270M for both TX and RX. I then connected a iPhone XS Max to the network and experienced the same speeds as the MB Airs.

This seems to lead to general slowness for the client when accessing data. Here is a part of the show station to show what I am referring to for the speed of the client.

Mac Addr IP Addr Chan Tx Rate Rx Rate Pow(SNR) A-Mode Cipher A-Time VLAN Auth UPID Phymode LDPC Tx-STBC Rx-STBC SM-PS Chan-width Release Station-State

-------------- --------------- ---- ------- ------- -------- -------------- -------- -------- ---- ---- ---- ------- ---- ------- ------- -------- ---------- ------- -------------

c869:cdb1:6ed8 10.220.112.36 36 270M 24M -53(40) wpa2-psk aes ccmp 00:15:54 112 Yes 4 11ac Yes Yes Yes static 40MHz No Good

4 REPLIES 4

sderikonja1
Contributor

I see the same behavior with Intel AC-8265 and Dell 5289. Rx rate is constantly at 6Mbit. HiveOS 10.0r7a

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, once you downgrade if you could wait an hour to make sure you get a couple background scans in and then send me tech data from the AP at communityhelp@aerohive.com, I can let you know what I find.

wayne_sprouse
New Contributor

Hello Sam and thank you for the response. The AP130s are running 10.0r7a. I can try downgrading this evening when people are not utilizing the AP. The numbers being reported seem to be accurate as I ran a speed test and got a download speed of like 15M and a upload speed of about 180M from the client. When running the speed test from the MacBook Pro with the 11n wireless card the download was 171M and upload was 178M. These big differences in TX and RX seems to be affecting 11ac clients more than 11n.

Either way I will attempt the downgrade and see what happens from there.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you using HiveOS 10.x? That firmware line currently has an issue where it will spike interference readings like the TX retry rate. If you are using a 10.x version, could you try downgrading to an 8.x version to see if you still see the same TX and RX readings?

GTM-P2G8KFN