cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Good afternoon. Could you tell me in what way I can configure a network segment that is assigned to a specific SSID? That is, I have a segment 172.16.0.1/24 for the lan and I want the guests to deliver a 10.0.6.0/24 segment for a particular SSID

Good afternoon. Could you tell me in what way I can configure a network segment that is assigned to a specific SSID? That is, I have a segment 172.16.0.1/24 for the lan and I want the guests to deliver a 10.0.6.0/24 segment for a particular SSID

aaguirre
New Contributor
3 REPLIES 3

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

The only way to segment, without VLANs is to build another flat network...which is exactly what VLANs do, in a far more scalable and affordable method. Are these switches incapable of VLAN segmentation or just not configured? If you can configure these switches, I'd be happy to assist. Knowing the make/model & software version would be helpful. If these are unmanaged switches, I would certainly make the case for upgrading to ones with more capabilities. We've been using Aerohive's switches for years now.

aaguirre
New Contributor

Thanks BJ.

But the problem I have is that the company does not have Vlans on its switches.

Can the configuration be made with this limitation?

bruce_stahlin
Contributor III

Are you familiar with VLANs? I recommend using a separate VLAN in conjunction with the subnet to separate the traffic. Depending on your authentication method, you could even use the same SSID, then assign the vlan based upon authentication criteria. This saves valuable airspace and reduces contention.

GTM-P2G8KFN