cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, is there a link that explains how to set up a guest network on an AP121? Thanks-

Hi, is there a link that explains how to set up a guest network on an AP121? Thanks-

jgarnick
New Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for clarifying for me. Sorry that article was hard to find, it should be easier to find now. Here's a link directly to it for reference- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/PSK-SSID-How-To

Based on your use case, you probably want to put the Guests on their own VLAN (which would mean setting that up in your backend network, trunking your switch ports to allow that VLAN, etc). Additionally, in that guide there are optional instructions regarding setting the user profile to use a Guest-Internet-Access-Only firewall, which will keep all users on this SSID from accessing any internal resources.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jgarnick
New Contributor
Thanks so much Sam! I’ll read through the link and be back in touch if I have any other questions.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for clarifying for me. Sorry that article was hard to find, it should be easier to find now. Here's a link directly to it for reference- https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/PSK-SSID-How-To

Based on your use case, you probably want to put the Guests on their own VLAN (which would mean setting that up in your backend network, trunking your switch ports to allow that VLAN, etc). Additionally, in that guide there are optional instructions regarding setting the user profile to use a Guest-Internet-Access-Only firewall, which will keep all users on this SSID from accessing any internal resources.

jgarnick
New Contributor
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I believe it is HiveManager Classic that we are using. We would want a PSK SSID. I did do a search, but it seemed to only be articles with specific questions.

Our goal is to totally separate guest use of our network so if a guest’s system becomes infected, it can’t spread to our internal network…….that’s in basic terms ☺

Thanks so much!

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, we have several articles to help you out. If you can give me a bit more detail on what you're doing, I can point you to the correct article, or you can always search for key works in Hive Community and look at the articles that come up that way.

What HiveManager platform are you using? HiveManager (formerly NG, cloud.aerohive.com), or HiveManager Classic (myhive.aerohive.com)?

What kind of security did you want on the guest network? We can make an open SSID (no password required, anyone can access), a PSK SSID (everyone has the same password), a PPSK SSID (everyone has their own password), MAC auth (only MAC addresses you know of ahead of time are allowed on the network), etc. Generally we see guest SSIDs using Open or PSK.

Once we can narrow it down a bit, I can point you towards the correct guide.

GTM-P2G8KFN