cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Incoming LLC traffic from Aerohive APs?

High Incoming LLC traffic from Aerohive APs?

jbeebe
New Contributor

I am working on radio interference issues and looking at the Radio Frequency Interference Troubleshooting guide here in the hive. It suggests running two commands to clear and then show counters (after 5 minutes). I'm getting Incoming LLC counter values between 120 and 240/sec. The guide suggests checking the backend network for the source. Using wireshark and remote packet sniffing from an AP with 0 clients (and 120 llc/sec traffic) the LLC protocol traffic is 99.9% from my other Aerohive APs. Wireshark shows func=UI; SNAP, OUI 0x001799 (Aerohive Networks, Inc.), PID 0x000? (value changes).  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you using Bonjour gateway or WIPS? Both of these processes can generate a lot of multicast traffic.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

brian_lippold
New Contributor

LLC traffic is broadcast traffic, not multicast, and I'm beginning to think the LLC traffic is by design (bad design!). If you look at the source of this broadcast traffic, I'm sure you will find that it is from your APs, which you have clearly stated. We have been dealing with this for years... a broadcast storm of LLC traffic. To all Aerohive customers, if you do a packet capture on your AP networks, I'm sure you will see a flood of LLC broadcast traffic.

I agree. I see lots and lots of broadcast packets. We dont use Bonjour or WIPS and still have the broadcast storms. We even think our switches are not handling the load very well all the time (they get regular pingdrops) and they are brand new Zyxel XGS1930-52HP models.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you using Bonjour gateway or WIPS? Both of these processes can generate a lot of multicast traffic.

GTM-P2G8KFN