cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How can we connect two buildings using access points ? Customer want to have wifi network for internal users and at the same time he wants to connect two buildings What are the mechanisms we can use to achieve customer goal ?

How can we connect two buildings using access points ? Customer want to have wifi network for internal users and at the same time he wants to connect two buildings What are the mechanisms we can use to achieve customer goal ?

prashan
New Contributor III
10 REPLIES 10

ashley_finch
Contributor III

Just to take a step back on this, how far apart are the buildings? You'd probably be better off mounting these on as high up as possible on the building if it is only single storey and perhaps external antennas also.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The line of sight needs to be maintained at all times, otherwise we'll start dropping the signal. I would recommend mounting the APs above the level of the road and it's traffic (you'll have to consider if the traffic is more commercial and might include taller semi-trucks, or if it's more residential and we'll only need to consider tall personal vehicles). If you can't guarantee a clear line of sight at all times, I would strongly recommend against deploying Mesh.

Something else to consider, even with a perfect Mesh set up you will lose 50% of your wireless speed automatically with every Mesh connection in the chain. I generally only recommend Mesh for a backup internet set up, not for a permanent long term connection.

prashan
New Contributor III

Thank you Sam,

I have another question

Can this method practically work in a case there the two buildings (both are single story) are situated across a busy road. Does the line of sight have to be maintained at all time like in a microwave link?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You will want to mount these APs as close together as possible, the more distance between them the more signal we'll drop. There needs to be a clear line of sight between the devices at all times. Things like roads, walls, windows, trees, or common walkways will degrade the signal significantly. We need to avoid metal, glass, and water as much as possible. The AP with the physical internet connection will be the Portal AP, and the AP at the remote location without a physical connection will be the Remote AP. The Remote AP will send any traffic back to the Portal AP, and then the Portal AP will pass the traffic upstream as normal.

GTM-P2G8KFN