cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I totally reset an AP120?

How do I totally reset an AP120?

iosrokz001
New Contributor

I have an AP120 for my home. it's old gear, I know that. I want to completely rewrite the firmware. I used this device (CLI only, no HiveManager), and now I've forgotten both the root admin username and password, and holding down the reset button does nothing. Can anyone give me some assistance here? can I download either the latest HiveOS for this thing, or the current version (6.1 R3) and reflash it via, say, tftp? holding the reset button on power up maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Additionally, when you hold the reset button down on the AP you should see the LED flash off and on again once it's registered that a full reset is requested (holding the reset button down for less than 5 seconds will start a reboot, more than 5 seconds will start a reset). Also, if you are consoled in to the AP, you should see in the command line that 5 reboot commands are sent, and then a message indicating that the AP is resetting itself. You can also reset the device by running the command "reset config" on the CLI of the AP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

steve_denman
New Contributor

I had the same issue, I found that after a factory reset the Aerohive box had absolutely nothing in the configuration.

I set the device to a static IP and then updated the firmware manually and this presented a different message.

I then updated the config by opening the device in the aerohive portal by clicking on the audit report exclamation mark next to the device, and then going to the complete tab.

Copy and paste all the text starting from and including 'config rollback enable' to the end of the text.

Open a ssh session to the device using putty and paste the config. you may have to press enter to get the last command to run.

I believe it has something to do with these lines in the config file, but as I do not know the boxes well I pasted the whole config

admin root-admin aero_admin password ******

admin VHM-VDTNLENY password ****** basic

Once you've pasted the config you should be able to update the device through the portal again. Failing that you'll have to pay for support from Aerohive

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

It might be worth trying to register for a free Hivemanager connect environment. You can add your AP-120 using the serialnumber and you will be able to reset and configure your AP. If your AP is still in another hivemanager, you might have to delete the AP in the former hivemanager first.

connor1
New Contributor

Finn did you ever get a fix for this as i'm having the same issue?

iosrokz001
New Contributor

ok no, I don't have support nor am I running this with HiveManager (high school student in New Zealand and can't afford it). I picked this up from my school last year, used it a while, forgot the password and now I'm (redacted by moderator). I don't really care about the warranty or anything so if I could get instructions on how yall'd fix it, i can probably do those at home as I have pretty good knowledge of embedded software, U-Boot, etc

GTM-P2G8KFN