cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I totally reset an AP120?

How do I totally reset an AP120?

iosrokz001
New Contributor

I have an AP120 for my home. it's old gear, I know that. I want to completely rewrite the firmware. I used this device (CLI only, no HiveManager), and now I've forgotten both the root admin username and password, and holding down the reset button does nothing. Can anyone give me some assistance here? can I download either the latest HiveOS for this thing, or the current version (6.1 R3) and reflash it via, say, tftp? holding the reset button on power up maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Additionally, when you hold the reset button down on the AP you should see the LED flash off and on again once it's registered that a full reset is requested (holding the reset button down for less than 5 seconds will start a reboot, more than 5 seconds will start a reset). Also, if you are consoled in to the AP, you should see in the command line that 5 reboot commands are sent, and then a message indicating that the AP is resetting itself. You can also reset the device by running the command "reset config" on the CLI of the AP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, we could TFTP flash it, but that would require access to the CLI of the device. The username will always be "admin", and the default passwords are "Aerohive1" or "aerohive". If that doesn't work you'll want to try the password in Home> Device Management settings. If that does not let you in, we may need to RMA this device for you. If you have support, you'd want to open a ticket at this point. If you don't, let me know and we'll get you set up with a Connect RMA.

iosrokz001
New Contributor

ok nope, it really does not want to reset. I've held the button down for 10 seconds, I see the LEDs come on, then go off, but it reboots back with the existing configuration. Is there any way, dhcp options, tftp push, some way I can reset it? there is no console on this thing (ethernet port, no serial) and I can't access the CLI because I've forgotten the username and password (I changed the root-admin username I believe).

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Additionally, when you hold the reset button down on the AP you should see the LED flash off and on again once it's registered that a full reset is requested (holding the reset button down for less than 5 seconds will start a reboot, more than 5 seconds will start a reset). Also, if you are consoled in to the AP, you should see in the command line that 5 reboot commands are sent, and then a message indicating that the AP is resetting itself. You can also reset the device by running the command "reset config" on the CLI of the AP.

dsouri
Contributor III

Hello Finn,

The reset should work and return the AP to Default CLI Credentials,

User: admin

pass: aerohive

Hope this helps,

David Souri

HiveCommunity Moderator

GTM-P2G8KFN