cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Data Rate Basic and Optional working like?

How does Data Rate Basic and Optional working like?

rickywong
New Contributor

Hi All,

?

I just read the Cisco explanation from:

?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/12-4-25d-JA/Configuration/guide/cg_12_4_...

?

4f237333e9524f88a415e87b615016c5_0690c000009PiL3AAK.jpg

?

So, Is the Aerohive doing the same?

?

The "Basic" of CISCO is just equal to the Aerohive's "Basic" setting on date rate while the Cisco's "Enabled" equal to the "Optional" in Aerohive?

?

And should we have all data rates as "Basic" for an extreme Multicast using Environment?

?

By the way, if we don't check the box of "Customize 2.4 GHz 11 b/g Rate Setting".

?

What is/are the exact Basic and optional data rate running on Aerohive's AP?

?

?

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The newer devices will use the data rates they are able to, they won't use the lower data rates unless they have to. The legacy device will use the lower data rate that it is able to use. Unless you're using an 802.11b radio profile, then the newer client will use the legacy clients data rates, but that isn't recommended.

You only want to advertise the lower data rates if you have to, to accommodate legacy clients. The higher the data rates you can use, the faster your connection will be.

rickywong
New Contributor

Sam, you are always helpful to us.

Your Boss should pay you more.

Anyway, pretty interest in your mentioned

"Clients must be able to support all the basic rates that an AP lists to be able to associate with that device."

So, let says I have a SSID with 1,2,5,5 and 11 Mbps as basic data rate for my clients.

Supposed there are a "legacy device", what supports only 1,2 Mbps, and a "G" client, what is running on 11Mbps, at the same time,

The G one will downgraded to 2 Mbps to make sure the legacy device "safe". IS that right?

And, will the WIFI coverage be improved and increased if using lower data rate as "basic"?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

The basic data rates are mandatory, so the client device must be able to meet the data rate set to basic at minimum for a connection to form. Extreme Networks devices advertise their support of these rates in their beacons and probe responses. Clients must be able to support all the basic rates (Mbps rates for 802.11a/b/g clients, and MCS rates for 802.11n/ac/ax clients) that an AP lists to be able to associate with that device. If they can use a higher, optional data rate, then those can be used too so long as the minimum basic rate is met.

I wouldn't set all data rates to Basic, just the minimum rate you would like to support for connecting clients.

The default Radio and Rate Settings are shown here:

453e3250b1714273a21a10cff117d999_0690c000009PknYAAS.png

GTM-P2G8KFN