cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How It is the best practice to configure an Access Point as DHCP,?

How It is the best practice to configure an Access Point as DHCP,?

carla_rebaza
New Contributor

So for my Understanding , I can configure a primary access point and a Secondary access point, what I'm not sure is exactly how to do it, my guess is I can configure one access point with part of the Ip address Pool and the second access point with the rest of the Ip address Pool, for example I have the network 192.168.0.0/24, So the primay access point will handle the Ip address Pool  192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100, and the second access point will handle the Ip address Pool 192.168.0.101 - 192.168.0.220, that is the best way to do it??? please advice

Another question I have, I am about to deploy 35 access point, (AP130) so following the example above, I will use one access point as Primary DHCP, another access point as Seconday DHCP, for what i have left 33 access point that I must to configure as DHCP-Rela,y, Right?? So when I configure " the DHCP Server and Relay" common objects on the hivemanager as "DHCP relay agent" what Ip address should set as "Primary DHCP Server" and "Secondary DHCP Server" ??? my guess is the Management Ip of the Acess point that I configure as a Primary DHCP and Secondary DHCP, Right? Please Advice

6 REPLIES 6

carla_rebaza
New Contributor

Thanks Sam.!!

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We usually don't recommend having two DHCP servers on the same VLAN, due to concerns about gateway conflicts and network traffic issues, so best practice is to have one AP acting as a DHCP server per VLAN. I would strongly recommend against setting every device as a relay, it is unnecessary and will cause conflicts on the network. So long as the AP is in the same subnet as the AP acting as a DHCP server, it does not need a relay in order to reach out to the DHCP server AP for an address.

GTM-P2G8KFN