cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make sure IP addresses of Captive portal remain the same - HM Classic 8.1r2

How to make sure IP addresses of Captive portal remain the same - HM Classic 8.1r2

patkszen
New Contributor

We use "Use default network settings" in captive portal settings. There are two IP's in 1.2.0.0/16 and 1.102.0.0/16 depending on radio used by a client. I've noticed these two IP's are always the same.

Is it possible that with the "Use default network settings" in captive portal these IP addresses ever change? We need to be sure that they will remain the same.

If I have manually put the IP's for both radios making sure they are the same as those picked by Hivemanager at the moment and push the config to all the AP's would it cause any service disruption within SSID using that captive portal?

3 REPLIES 3

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

That depends a bit on how you have your network traffic set up, but in general that shouldn't be an issue.

patkszen
New Contributor

thanks Sam

What about eth0 and eth1 interfaces, can they be just left blank?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

I've never seen a CWP change IPs when using the default network settings, but if you want to be completely sure I would uncheck "use default network settings" and enter in static IPs that are reserved in your IP pool.

If you do enter in IPs and push a complete configuration to the APs, that will cause a breif network down time while the APs reboot. This should take less than 5 minutes on average, 15 minutes in the worst case scenario.

You could try a delta configuration update which doesn't reboot the AP, but that might not be enough for this kind of change (in which case you'll see an error in the update results and the AP will continue to use it's original configuration without rebooting or disconnecting).

GTM-P2G8KFN