cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am setting up a Radius Server in our school division using HiveManager Classic. I would like to ideally have 3 SSID's set up. I will roll this out and test it one school at a time. But I have a few questions.

I am setting up a Radius Server in our school division using HiveManager Classic. I would like to ideally have 3 SSID's set up. I will roll this out and test it one school at a time. But I have a few questions.

tdupont
New Contributor

I would ideally like to have 3 SSID's set up. The first will be for all division owned wireless devices, which I would like to have connect automatically, likely by MAC Authentication. The second SSID will be for all AD Users to connect via AD Authentication. The third SSID would be for all school division guests/visitors.

Here are the questions I have.

1 - If I configure MAC Authentication on one SSID, will our division owned wireless devices connect automatically if the SSID is hidden or will some form of user intervention still be required to connect? We have several mobile labs (laptop carts) that we would like to make sure are connected to the network whenever powered on to make sure we can remote into them if necessary, but also want to make sure that any and all updates we push out are being installed. even when not in use.

2 - What would be the most efficient method to allow guests to connect to our network while being able to identify users, monitor and track user network/internet activity? I would like to ensure staff and students are not connecting to this guest SSID so access will be limited to guests only. One method I considered is creating local AD users, where these usernames and passwords are left with the secretary in each school for convenience purposes, but I am wondering if there is a better way. My understanding is I can set it up so that a staff member has to "sponsor" a user to connect, but I am not sure how secure this is as I believe there are some staff members who would allow students to use their email addresses for this. Some staff members have already given out the current password to students. This is one of the reasons why we are looking to switch to a more secure network configuration.

Thank you for any assistance with this.

12 REPLIES 12

tdupont
New Contributor

Thank you for all your assistance.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

You would want to speak with your sales engineer about either purchasing an IDM subscription or changing over to Extreme Cloud IQ (formerly known as HiveManager NG). I've emailed you your accounts sales engineer and their email address so you know who to reach out to.

tdupont
New Contributor

Thanks Sam. Now how will I be able to find out the options to either purchase the ID Manager subscription, or to upgrade our HiveManager subscription from Classic to NG?

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, this guide reviews how to set this up in Classic, but you would need a separate subscription to IDM for employee approval using Classic, where as it's built in to NG: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Self-Registration-SSID-with-IDM

GTM-P2G8KFN