cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I currently have my teachers setup with their own PPSK.

I currently have my teachers setup with their own PPSK.

cwarren
New Contributor

But some of them are giving them out to students and I am trying to eliminate that. Is there a way to combine their office 365 email information to be able to access the wifi instead of using the PPSK?  I figured it would be a lot more confidentail and not wanting to give that information out. If there is another more secure way or making it more personal to the teacher, just let me know Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

cwarren
New Contributor

Ok Thanks. I currently don't have MacBinding on, but will consider it. What I have is 2 SSID. One is for computers only and if someone tries to connect with their phones, it just sends them nowhere. The staff is mainly for their personal devices (Phones, Tablets, etc.) Plus I have set it to 3 devices only. I also have some teachers that never use it, and they give their password out. Seems like I'm fighting a losing battle.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

If the teachers have a set device or set number of devices that they should be using the PPSK credentials on, you could enable MAC binding. This would bind the PPSK credentials to a certain machine (or you can do multiple machines as well) so even if the student does get the credentials and enters them correctly, they would be denied access because the client device wouldn't match the MACs bound to that PPSK. You also don't have to know the MAC addresses of the teachers approved devices before hand, the PPSK will automatically bind to the first device it's used on.

For example, let's say you want the teachers to log in on their school issued laptops and also their personal phones. You can set MAC binding up to allow 2 devices per PPSK credential. Then the teachers would login on their computer and phone, and that would bind the PPSK to their devices only. If a student uses these credentials first, you'd hear from the teacher when they can't log in on their own devices, which would discourage sharing. Does that sound like what you're looking for?

If you can let me know which HiveManager platform you are using, I can give you some detailed instructions on how to set up MAC binding. This guide will walk you through how to determine which HiveManager you are using, for reference: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Which-HiveManager-Platform-am-I-using

GTM-P2G8KFN