cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried to block a website (e.g. youtube) on AP30. using a firewall's application deny rule. After the AP resets the network I modified becomes inaccessible -i.e. my iphone can not connect to it.

I tried to block a website (e.g. youtube) on AP30. using a firewall's application deny rule. After the AP resets the network I modified becomes inaccessible -i.e. my iphone can not connect to it.

amir_shalit
New Contributor
4 REPLIES 4

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your patience, I wanted to test this in my lab to be sure before responding. The APs aren't going to be as effective as a network firewall or content filter, and they will simply shut the traffic flow down rather than displaying a warning message. If you want the page to be denied with a warning that the admin blocked it, or something similar, I would recommend using the network firewall instead.

amir_shalit
New Contributor

Thanks, Sam. Changing the default to permit fixes the problem. I can access any network other than the once I blocked.

As an experiment I blocked youtube but I don't get "access denied". Initially, I can browse but after a few seconds I get a blank screen.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for those screen shots, I think I see the issue. The rules are fine, but the default action for all traffic on both the inbound and the outbound traffic is set to deny, which will essentially deny all traffic unless you have a firewall rule explicitly allowing the particular traffic type.

I would recommend keeping your firewall rules the way they are, but changing the default behavior to "Allow" (the default behavior is the drop down in the right hand corner, right above the firewall rules themselves). With that set up, the firewall will apply the individual rules to all traffic first, and then apply the default behavior if the rules did not apply to the traffic already.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Could you send a screen shot of the firewall rules in place? If you'd rather send that to me directly, my email is communityhelp@aeorhive.com.

GTM-P2G8KFN