cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

In Hivemanager Classic, is there a way to view a list of active clients for one specific SSID (beyond looking at the entire list of active clients and sorting them by SSID)?

In Hivemanager Classic, is there a way to view a list of active clients for one specific SSID (beyond looking at the entire list of active clients and sorting them by SSID)?

rob_pritchard
New Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

No problem. I see the reason for your request now and it makes perfect sense.

Ahh, the dreaded migration... ļ™‚ Depending on the depth of your current configuration, the actual building of objects in the new HM platform shouldn't be to terrible for you. If you had unique network policies for each school throughout your district though that'd be another story. Which is where we sit in a round about way. We manage WLANs for several hundred schools and libraries across the country, so having to build manually several hundred Network Policies and possibly thousands of SSIDs, User Profiles, etc. is just too astronomical of a task for us to undertake. The risk of user error is simply too great.

Best of luck to whichever route you take!

rob_pritchard
New Contributor

Thanks, I appreciate the info and you taking the time to respond. I work for a public school district in Delaware. We have close to 1700 APs throughout our district and there are over 25,000 unique clients that connect to our network each day. We just created a special SSID just for staff cellphones so I was trying to view a list of just those clients connecting to it as some of our teachers are reporting issues with not being able to authenticate to it, even though they had successfully authenticated previously on our main SSID (we had discussed creating a formal BYOD network on the BYOD VLAN but there are issues with that since everything we do goes through the State of Delaware's network and we want to user RADIUS authentication for our staff). We're supposed to have a meeting soon with our Aerohive regional sales rep and our systems engineer and I think we're going to talk about what all would be involved with moving us from our classic HM to the newer HM (nothing could go wrong with that transition, right?). šŸ™‚

AnonymousM
Valued Contributor II

I wouldn't expect any feature enhancements to the legacy HM platform anytime soon. If you're needing to see clients on a per SSID basis, you'd most likely be better off finding a unique way to do it with the system as it is now. You can keep the three SSIDs on the same VLAN, but create 3 (or two new) User Profiles and attach them to different User Profile attributes upon creation. From the client perspective, they'd notice no difference. But for your view/information, you should be able to achieve your goal. Creating unique objects per SSID also gives you some ability to do some unique rules per SSID should you ever need to. Rate limiting, firewalling, etc. I'm sure you're well aware of this though.

Filtering via SSID had been a long request of mine but for reasons I'm not aware of, it never gained enough traction to be implemented in the legacy HM platform. It does exist in the newer HM (what was called NG). So I feel your pain. We have 7 classic HM instances with ~200ish customers each within their own VHM.

rob_pritchard
New Contributor

We're not using a unique user profile for each SSID (except for out guest network, but I already have a filter set up for viewing our guest network clients since it's on a different VLAN than our other three SSIDs). Our other three SSIDs are all on the same VLAN so I can't filter them by that. I just need a filter option to select the SSID name that I want to view the clients of, which unfortunately they don't provide. I've reached out to my Aerohive systems engineer and asked that this be submitted as a feature request.

GTM-P2G8KFN