cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to filter by mac address members of a user group to only allow specific devices to be users within that group?

Is it possible to filter by mac address members of a user group to only allow specific devices to be users within that group?

glenwall
New Contributor

We have bar code scanners that are all authenticated to the wifi using a user account within a user group using PPSK.  The PPSK info is managed via Airwatch to the devices and now that service is no longer going to support the setup we have.

The user group is one of three that are assigned to the SSID so I am looking for a way to restrict by device at the usergroup level since I don't want to have the entire SSID restricted. This brought us around to the idea of mac filtering for allowed devices as part of the Usergroup- Warehouse.

Our setup is

User - Scanner > Usergroup - Warehouse > SSID - SSID - 2

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

glenwall
New Contributor

Thanks Sam,

This is what we had looked at but ideally we were looking to not have to create another SSID. A user group that could be joined by mac and pointed to any SSID we are using would be the perfect option. Currently the user information is passed to a scanner (gun) via Airwatch. This includes the PPSK and gives us the ability to change the key if needed and roll the change to all devices without physically having to touch them. We are on Hivemanager NG.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We can set up a MAC auth PPSK SSID that would use an internally hosted Radius server to request and use the device MAC address as the username and password for authentication. Any device not already listed as a user would not be able to connect to the SSID. Is that what you're looking for? If it is, could you tell me which HiveManager platform you are using? Once I know which platform you're on, I can give you more detailed instructions on how to set up MAC auth.

This guide will walk you through how to determine which HiveManager you are using, for reference: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Which-HiveManager-Platform-am-I-using

GTM-P2G8KFN