cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to block a specific device (by MAC ADDR) from using a specific AP?

Is there a way to block a specific device (by MAC ADDR) from using a specific AP?

bryan_tetlow
New Contributor

I know I can do a blacklist, but in that case it affects all locations where a specific SSID is in use, and I only want to block a specific device from a specific AP.

The issue I'm trying to resolve is that a ChromeBit device is connecting to an AP that's 2 floors down!  While there is an AP within 50 feet of it that it logically should get to. The signal details seem to defy the logic of how and why it's getting to the distant AP.

We use ChromeBits for TV presentations....so the options to control their wireless is next to none... Not unlike a Android phone basically.

2 REPLIES 2

bryan_tetlow
New Contributor

We already worked during the installation phase some time ago with on-site Aerohive engineer.... But, we're finding that newer clients have radios that seem to be a LOT more sensitive, and they latch on in places we only dreamed possible!

All the AP's are on minimum power as well....

In this case these Chromebit devices.... they connect back to the otherside of the world if they could it seems.

The only other option we considered what a specific SSID, on specific AP's, just to account for these gadgets.

Oh, AP230's are the AP in question that these seem to have a favor to connect to inappropriately. This does not seem to happen with the AP250's or the AP550's we use.

Perhaps the radio is enough different in that model to add to the mix.

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We have a couple methods for blocking clients outright, but we don't have a way to allow a client to connect to all but one AP if that AP is on the same network as the rest of the APs. If you've got client devices connecting to APs farther away than they should, I would recommend disabling some lower data rates so the APs require a stronger signal from the Client device before they allow connection or roaming. If you can let me know which HiveManager platform you are using, I can tell you where to find the data rate settings, but in general they are in the SSID Advanced/optional settings.

GTM-P2G8KFN