cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to bypass the initial SMTP setup when configuring HiveManager?

Is there a way to bypass the initial SMTP setup when configuring HiveManager?

Penny1
New Contributor

I am trying to setup a new instance of HiveManager NG to configure so we can migrate all of our devices off of the old HiveManager. Unfortunately I've run into a roadblock in the initial setup process. The page for configuring the SMTP settings requires the username be a valid email address (i.e. username@domain.com). We use AWS for our SMTP service and it does not use a full email address for the username. Has anyone figured out a way to work around this? This seems to be a common situation; not all SMTP servers require a fully qualified email address for the username.

Thanks,

Doug

19 REPLIES 19

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

We will be removing that red box, thank you very much for the feedback. I'm glad it's working well for you otherwise, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

muell_thorsten
New Contributor

Hi Sam,

yes, we already have this latest release (19.5.1.7). OK, I've checked it again... If I enter in the field "user name" a value without "@domain.tld", the this field is marked red. But nevertheless, it works, when I save the settings. Now we can use all mail based functions (generate new administrative users, send WiFi users their PPSK keys, ...). 

Maybe you should remove this red marking of this field in the next versions. That is very confusing.

Thanks for the fast answer!

samantha_lynn
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Thorsten, we have updated our SMTP protocol in the latest HiveManager release to not require an email format for the SMTP user name. Could you try your configuration out on the latest release (19.5.1.7)?

muell_thorsten
New Contributor

Hi,

any news about this problem?

We are testing the virtual appliance (Build Id: 2019-06-03-20.57.17) since this morning and stumbled over this BIG problem with SMTP. 😞

We use a mail server, that needs either

• no authentification

or

• authentification with only the username, whereas the username have to be without "@domain.tld".

So at the moment the hivemanager VA is not working with our mail server. 😞

I have configured here in this company in the last 7 years about ~ 40 - 50 different types of software and hardware, which all send mails via SMTP. And ALL OF THESE have the option to use SMTP without authentification, which we prefer. Because our mail server is configured to accept SMTP connections without authentification only from trusted IP spaces. That is enough security for us and everything works well.

Didn't your developers look on other software, how it's solved there?

So... how is the status with the "feature request"?

When will this get fixed?

Or do we have to set up a workaround which will cost us ~1/2 of work?

Regards

GTM-P2G8KFN